Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rejuvenation

Between last week's dreary weather and the seemingly constant tantrums of my almost two-year old, I was really missing my mommy, and pretty much all things easy and familiar about "home." Feeling much inadequacy as a mother, as I fail to keep my child from breaking down just about every hour, if not more frequently, and growing homesick as the ever-present boredom, due primarily to the lack of family and friends around and the gloomy weather keeping us inside, takes over, I couldn't seem to manage to kick the blues.

Having Cody home for the weekend certainly helped, but it seemed so short lived compared to the "work week." Sunday was definitely uplifting, but my visiting teachers really came through with the "cure" I needed. Little did they know what I needed most was a little sunshine, nature walk, and good company.

Sumei suggested we grab lunch at a restaurant up Yangmingshan in the midst of calla lily fields. I've actually been wanting to go pick calla lilies for a really long time, so it was the perfect plan!

We had lunch eating items such as steamed buns, cabbage, sweet potato soup, fried tofu, pineapple shrimp, and Kung Pao chicken. Most of it being quite delicious. Our table was under a canopy overlooking calla lily gardens.


After lunch we spent some time in the gardens taking pictures.

Of course, Jadyn and Aly's favorite part was playing in the water that I'm sure was oh, so clean.

As we took the short walk to the calla lily farms to pick flowers, we stopped at an ice cream truck, or rather, ice cream scooter, for a treat.


At the calla lily farms, we could pick our own lilies for NT$10 a piece! It was so fun!







































What a beautiful site!


It is amazing how warm weather, a walk in nature, and time with friends can lift the spirits! I'm feeling much better. :) And I love the happy reminder on my kitchen table.

7 comments:

Darrell & Valerie said...

How fun, what a great way to beat the blues! Sounds like you have some wonderful visiting teachers!

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Very cool!

Shannon said...

How neat! That is awesome and your VT are inspired. I hate that you felt inadequate. I know the feeling well and I hate that you suffer from it, too. But I guess that's motherhood for you (especially when you have a 2 year old!!!). Those lilies were gorgeous. I am so jealous. Did you know those are my very favorite flowers? Of all time. That was my wedding flower. I think they're gorgeous and I have never before seen a field like that. Beautiful. I'm glad you got to get out and feel rejuvenated. Good for you.

The Reimers Family said...

You got to love v.ts! What more perfect way to lift the spirits? That looked so beautiful! I'm sorry you've been having a rough time, You'll be in my prayers. Take care! Love you!

Allyson said...

Those are so beautiful! We had a call lily's for our wedding. I would love to go there! Are you going to Utah anytime soon?

simmons said...

I wish I was your visiting teach! Maybe I can see if I can be assigned to be your VT and that way I will have to see you at least once a month! I can tell Collin that I am fulfilling my calling, and that he should support me in monthly flights to Taiwan. I will see what I can do about get assigned.
So thank you for reading my WHOLE HUGE long post! Because really I did it for you!
I am sorry to hear about the tantrums and although Mack hasn’t had any major ones yet I hold my breath a little sometimes wondering if one is going to come out and show his ugly face. But you are an amazing Mom and so I know you will have it figured out in no time. Speaking of Jade have I told you how amazing she is! I watched the video of her saying her letters and I am so impressed. She is so adorable and so smart! I need to pick your brain about learning time because Mack and I don’t seem to be getting the hang of it and I am getting worried. So please send your expert advice my way!
I hope you have lots of sunny days this week and lots of fun with little Jade! Thanks for all your inspirational comments and always making me feel so good about myself! You are AMAZING!!!!!

Tiffany said...

Wow! I've never seen a lily farm like that! I must be living a sheltered life. :) So beautiful! You look gorgeous by the way. When are you in town next so you can help me find some new clothes? :) I love having you as my fashion consultant.