The other day my darling little Jade brought this to me:
After reprimanding the child, I took a closer look at the broken Willow Tree Angel.
It is not made of wood at all! Am I the only one that thought Willow Tree figurines were in fact actually made from Willow trees??!!
Of course, I went to the all-knowing source, the world wide web, which led me to another all-knowing source, Wikipedia. According to the always-completely-accurate, Wikipedia, the Willow, is in fact a real tree. Just had to double check, I'm no dendrologist.
From the Willow Tree website, "Artist Susan Lordi hand carves each original Willow Tree® sculpture. Using family and friends as models, Susan tries to capture a moment in time, or express a feeling. Pieces are cast from her original carving, and then individually painted by hand..."
Is it just me or does that (and the name of the product) give you the false impression that the statues are hand carved from some kind of wood? Not that I'm terribly upset about this discovery, but just thought it was interesting enough to share. I'm really not that bent over it; I still quite like the ones I have. Though I do still think it is a bit misleading and maybe even a tad deceitful. Want to break open your ornaments and let me know what yours are made of? Nothing a little super glue can't fix.
Hard to believe a sweet, innocent thing like this would do something like that huh?! Ha! She has started to have a lot of attitude and a short temper. Not that she broke the angel on purpose, but the terrible twos have begun!!
7 comments:
Hey! I too thought they were made from wood! That's really funny. And yes, deceptive. Weird. They're really light. What is it they're actually made of then? Sorry about the terrible twos (*types Shannon as her two year old is slamming a flashlight loudly and repeatedly against the dining table yelling "WAKE UP TREVOR!!!!" because he doesn't want said brother to be sleeping). Man oh man. What a fun age!?!?!?!?!
I thought they were made of wood too! Wow. That is interesting.
I left you a comment on my blog. Make sure you check it.
That is deceitful!! Wow! Anyways, your daughter looks adorable.
Who knew? It looks like little Jadyn is helping you learn all sorts of new and exciting things. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure that if Katelyn had the chance, she'd be helping Jadyn out with the discovery. Two year olds... oh boy. We've had our days too. Have I told you my idea for a bumper sticker? "Don't fight with a two year old. You won't win." It's the truth. (Unless of course you can bribe them with candy, but that's not really winning, is it? :) )
Hm, I guess the name is a bit misleading. At least she does carve the original from a willow tree! I wonder what they use for casting.
It looks like some kind of plastic, not ceramic; it is really light, but I can't tell what it is exactly.
Post a Comment