Sunday, May 2, 2010

Butterfly, Butterfly, Happy All Day

Friday was Jadyn's 2nd birthday, and like any crazed mother of a toddler, I decided to throw a party. At first I was reluctant, knowing how much work it would be, but in the end I opted to have one anyway. I knew Jadyn would love having little friends over to play on her birthday, and after all, the day should be about her, right?!

Jadyn LOVES seeing and chasing butterflies at the park, so we went for a butterfly themed birthday.


I set up decorations the night before, mostly to keep little hands from pulling them down as I put them up. Jadyn's reaction when she woke up that morning was both a bit unexpected and humorous. Instead of getting really excited, she was more concerned about showing them to her "little buddies."


The party was fun, even though it reconfirmed how not-good with children I am. Jadyn seemed to love it though--and that truly was priceless and made all the effort worth it. Seeing her smile and laugh as we played some of her favorite games and songs really made me so, so happy.

After making a "butterfly net" craft and playing games, we had an indoor picnic, followed by cake and ice cream.



17 comments:

Katie said...

Gorgeous cake! Looks like a fun party! Maya's bday is in 2 weeks and I'm still trying to come up with a theme for the party!

Tawnya said...

What a party! It looks so amazing!

Lydia said...

Nicole, you are so talented in decorating. If I ever want to do event planning business, I would SO WANT you to be in my team! Awsome party, and you sure give me lots of ideas for Isabelle's birthday too because I actually want to do butterfly for her too^^.

ej said...

The party was really so fun, you were great with all of the kids. The video is even cuter than I imagined, she is such a doll!!

Casey and Winter Rowland said...

oh my goodness nicole you are so funny how you think you are not good with kids. You were wonderful with paisley.
I Love all of your decorations and your cake. The party was adorable and I wish we lived close together so we could have paisley and jayden be closer.
Love the party favors!

Kay said...

AMAZING party! I bet Jade has such a great time! The decorations and cake were amazing too!Happy Birthday Jaydn!

simmons said...

AMAZING!!!!!! I am channeling your influence for Mack's Birthday coming up. I hope to do it in the "Nicole" style!

Seriously everything is so cute! The food and little treats and all the decorations or so fun!

Awesome job Mom!!!!

The Reimers Family said...

Nicole, you are nuts!, but I bet it was worth it. The cake was amazing, their little take homes were darling, I am jealous we weren't invited. Happy Birthday Jadyn!!!

Anna Heywood said...

Nicole, this is such a darling party! I love that you took your theme from something Jayden loves, butterflies, perfect! You have always had such a knack for design and beauty, and you have proven yourself once again. Great job! I only wish I could have been there to see it in person!

Shannon said...

I have so many things to say I bet I won't remember them all. First, you are great with kids, crazy! Second, your party looks professionaly done. You are so amazing. I am constantly in awe of you. You are so talented in ways I could only hope to be. Third, I thought I was really getting good at the whole cake decorating thing (I had a really great teacher *wink, wink*) but wow!!!!! That cake is gorgeous. Sam and I blew it up really big just to look at all the details. The chocolate ganache, the round piping for the outline, the beatiful colors and star piping that had to take you forever! I am in love. With you and your cake. So so so impressive. And lastly, I loved that video of Jadyn "DUCKY COME HERE!" I laughed out loud. David does the same thing with froggy. I love it. I am so sad we weren't able to be there. It looks like it was really fun. We miss you guys tons. Let's talk this week, and give your little one a big kiss from me. And another one from David.

Shannon said...

Oh yeah, those invitations!!!!! My gosh! You made each of them by hand? They are so creative and beautifully constructed. Also, I loved the clothespin m&m butterflies. What a great idea! You are so crafty! :)

ps - I love your phone number. Still seems weird.

Nicole said...

Shannon, I got the idea for the invitations here: http://kidsparties.about.com/od/diyideas/ig/DIYinvitation/. They are a collage made from ribbon, material, etc. Then I scanned them in and printed them out. Just had to make them once, then stick the butterfly wings on. :)

D.Suth. said...

wow you did that cake?? I also liked the invtes and M&M's.
Are they normal American M&M's or are they weird m&m's? Is that a weird ?

looks fun.

Nicole said...

Dalyce, yes I did the cake and the m&ms are orange m&ms--as in orange flavored--I don't think they are sold in the States, are they? But they are so amazing--think chocolate orange in the form of m&ms. Yum.

Vatcher Family said...

You are amazing. I wish I could have been there!

Tiffany said...

You are absolutely crazy and amazing. I love it! What a fun birthday party and a beautiful cake. I love all of the butterflies and the decorations. You have such a creative knack and I'm really excited for you to come live next door to me some day. Any time now... :) Jadyn is so lucky to have such an awesome mommy. Happy mother's day Nicole!

Tiffany said...

You are absolutely crazy and amazing. I love it! What a fun birthday party and a beautiful cake. I love all of the butterflies and the decorations. You have such a creative knack and I'm really excited for you to come live next door to me some day. Any time now... :) Jadyn is so lucky to have such an awesome mommy. Happy mother's day Nicole!