Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Splash of Color

When we moved into our apartment back in November, it had been white washed. ALL the walls (AND doors, baseboard, ceiling, and some shelves and cupboards) had been painted pure white (Cody affectionately refers to them as "insane asylum white")! We said the apartment had to have fresh paint, but we trusted they would pick a better color! They even painted over the beautiful wood bookshelves in the living room.

I absolutely was not going to live in a completely white apartment for two + years, so without nails or paint (by order of the landlord) I had to do some creative decorating. After a lot of hunting (not many decor stores around these parts), a little imagination, and some help from a friend, this is what I came up with.

Living Room/Office
I decided to go with colors that are fun and different. I wanted to experiment with something bold and adventurous since we only have to live with it for a few years. Note: I did cheat on the "no nail" thing with the bookshelves; I just HAD to hang SOMETHING!
{Top: Move-in day. Bottom: Finished project.}



Dining Area & Kitchen
The dining area was just finished last week; I finally came up with something to put on the wall to add a little color.
{Top: Shipment day. Bottom: Finished project.}
























Pantry & Washroom
No before and after. They are inherently doomed to be plain, undecorated, and a little messy.

Guest Room
Cody made me leave this room bare for him. He wants to use it to hang maps in. I at least made the bed--we're all ready for visitors!
{Top: Move-in day. Bottom: Finished project.}


Jadyn's Room
Obviously, this one is not quite done. I've made a lot of progress since this picture was taken, but I'm still not finished. I'll probably post pictures when I am though. (click here to see it finished!)



Bathroom
{Top: Move-in day. Bottom: Finished project.}
Do you like the clear shower curtain? Cute shells, huh. Ha ha. It is the one the landlord provided as part of our contract (see below post for more information). We really included it to make sure we had one when we moved in (because we didn't have our shipment yet), but I have yet to go searching for a different one.














Master Bedroom & Bathroom
We picked out our duvet cover before we knew the walls were painted bright white. Smooth move. Would you like some WHITE, to go with that WHITE?!?
{Top: Move-in day. Bottom: Finished project.}

12 comments:

Tawnya said...

I love what you have done with it! It looks so great! You are so creative. I wish i was that creative!

The Reimers Family said...

I know how you feel, Our walls are boring egg shell white...everywhere. So little by little I'm easing Jake into colored walls one room at a time. He likes white, he says it feels clean. I have to have color. I like the colors you chose for the front room, very bright and cheery. It really does make a difference!

Tammy said...

Great work! I'm very impressed. I love the modern look and the bold colors. It looks amazing!

Anna Heywood said...

I love what you came up with. It looks fresh and modern, yet homey and comfy at the same time. Great job! You have such an eye for design. I really love it!

Tiffany said...

I love it!! You've done an awesome job Nicole. I bet it feels so much more like home now. Your place was so cute in AZ that I'm not surprised you've been able to pull it off. I'll be asking you for advice one of these days.:)

Jennifer said...

Your home looks great!

Lynsee said...

It looks so cute! I love it! Especially the colors! I just happen to have red and bright green throughout my house and I love it! I have been wanting to paint a wall, but supposedly we're going to move one day so I haven't! It looks so good! Maybe you should have gone into interior design!

Melissa L. said...

You are amazing. I wish you were still in Phoenix so you could come decorate my house now that the inside is finished! :)

Raylyn said...

I love your apartment! I can't believe you are in Taiwan. You are such a cute mommy, I love all the pics of your little girl!

Eric and Darcy said...

My favorite is the green in the bookcases--very HGTV! How did you do that if you can't paint?
I can't wait to see Jadyn's room. Is it hard to find stuff in Taiwan? Do you mostly order online?

simmons said...

So I am sorry I haven't commented forever, but it seems that I am so busy latley! I can't not watch Mack for one second, as he is all over the place and into everything!
I love what you have done with your place, it is super cute! Someday when I get a house you are going to have to help me decorate! I still love those throw pillows you helped me select!
I hope things are going well! I miss you lots! I have to figure out this skype thing so I can talk to you soon!

Jenna Theobald Broadbent said...

Nicole! Your place is beautiful!!!! I lost your blog address for a bit but now I'm back stalking. Hope you guys are doing well. We miss you here.