Friday, June 12, 2009

One Saturday Morning

A lot of Saturday mornings we go out for a Chinese breakfast and then hit the morning market for groceries. Today I decided to take some pictures of our little Saturday morning routine.

The picture on the left is ShiDong Road--just a block from our apartment--where my favorite breakfast spot is located. For awhile we would try a new Chinese "eat" each week. At this point I think we have tried everything we are brave enough to try.

Now we really only hit two different spots. One for hambaos (Chinese breakfast ham-burgers--literally ham, as in pork) and one for shao bing (bread thing). The pictures below are of our favorite breakfast place--the one that serves shao bing (among other things).

This is what we had for breakfast today (from left to right): Cody had shao bing yo tiao (oil stick in bread--basically deep fried bread wrapped in bread, then you dip it in soy milk); I had my absolute favorite: shao bing jia dan (bread thing with egg and green onion--the bread is sooo good--light and flaky with yummy toasted sesame seeds on top); and Jadyn had mantau jia dan (steamed bun with egg; missionaries call this the Michael Jordan, because that is what it sounds like).

The soy milk took some getting use to, but I actually like it now. And so does Jadyn.



After breakfast, we are off to the morning market. To the right is a lane off of ShiDong Road that has several different produce vendors.

First we go to Wellcome {below, top left} to buy regular groceries (milk, bread, eggs, etc.), then we stop across the street at the veggie vendor {below; top center, top right}. I grab a basket, fill it with vegetables, then hand it to the veggie man for him to weigh and price, he bags them up, I pay, and then we are off to the next stop. Some days we buy fresh mantaus (steamed buns) {below, bottom left}, but they didn't have the wheat ones I like ready yet today. After stopping for mantaus we head to the fruit stand {below, bottom center}. We are regulars there now and the owners know us when we come. They are very nice and know a little English. I point to what I want; they bag it, weigh it, and price it. They even hook it onto our stroller for us. After we purchase our fresh fruit, we head home. We have to be sure to bring Jadyn with us to the market, because it is her job to carry the groceries home {below, bottom right}. [Cody told me to be sure to point out this is a very light load. We have had days where the grocery cart is bending under the weight of all the purchases.]

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I really love to hear of all your adventures. Even a Saturday morning out to get groceries looks like such a fun experience. Seriously, when Sam and I come out there you'll have to just do all your normal stuff like this so we can experience it. Also, your breakfast thingie looks delicious. We already talked about this, but I love sesame seeds. That looks fantastic (drooling).

Southern Exposure said...

Nicole, I lost your blog for awhile and just re-found it. Yeppee!! The market looks so much fun, with yummy fresh fruits and veges!! These Saturdays are the kinds of thing you will miss when you are back in the States!!
We miss you guys!!