Monday, June 1, 2009

Dragon Boat Festival

"Dragon Boat Festival is celebrated on the fifth day of the fifth lunar month, and together with Chinese New Year and Mid-Autumn Festival forms one of the three major Chinese holidays. Dragon Boat Festival began as an occasion for driving off evil spirits and pestilence and for finding peace in one's life" (Compliments of Holidays and Festivals in Taiwan), symbolized today by dragon boat races and eating zhongzi (balls of rice wrapped in bamboo leaves). The races are held in honor of the poet Qu Yuan who, according to legend, drowned himself in protest after being slandered by envious officials on this date in 280 B.C. (Compliments of The Rough Guide to Taiwan)

Cody was off work Thursday and Friday for the holiday. On Thursday we went to the races on the Erlong River.

"The Erlong Dragon Boat Race, which has been held on a narrow stretch of the Erlong River for more than two hundred years, perpetuates the traditions of the Kavalan aborigines who pioneered the canoe-like boat race as a ritual to ease the suffering of unhappy river ghosts. Rowers in the Erlong races kneel on the boats' floors, facing outwards and paddling deep into the water. Racers paddle to the clang of a gong with the gong-sounder perched on the boat's bow." (Compliments of The Rough Guide to Taiwan)

{Left: No seats left on the 1 hr 30 min. train ride; Jadyn polishing off Mom's passion fruit smoothie; Cody and Jadyn sitting on the stone bleacher-like steps used for viewing the races. Center: Dragon boat races on the Erlong River. Right: Jadyn's adoring fans taking her picture; Ritual after a race; The beautiful landscape of rice paddies and mist-covered mountains.}
--click on picture to enlarge--
A little taste of what we saw:



On Friday we went to the festival in Taipei. We viewed a few races, then checked out the market, then watched more races.

{Left: The busy market; Buying the traditional festival food, zhongzi; The food stall next door--squid on a stick. Center: Drinking winter melon tea; zhongzi. Right: zhongzi; Jadyn loved zhongzi; Dragon boat lantern.}

{Clockwise from top left: A dragon boat racing; Me in front of the race; All the dragon boats tied up after the races; Jadyn and me on a dragon boat.}

One of the races in Taipei:


We had so much fun during the Dragon Boat Festival. I love learning about and experiencing the Chinese holidays and traditions! I love it even more when Cody has a few days off work for us to spend together as a family!!

6 comments:

Shannon said...

I realize that there are a million exciting pictures on here that I should acknowledge, but my favorite was the one of Cody drinking the winter melon tea. Man I miss you guys. And by the way, that tea sounds fabulous and I am way jealous. But very fun festival. Seriously Nicole, you are able to be part of such exciting things over there. Truly amazing.

Melissa L. said...

Wow, what a fun adventure! Do the unhappy river ghosts suffer from boredom? I can certainly see how this would spice things up for them. :) Thanks for posting!

Tawnya said...

That is soo coool. I've always wanted to go to something like that!

Tammy said...

What a neat experience. I love how they're all staring at Jayden. And, by the way, I love your earings. Looks like so much fun!

Shannon said...

I know we do keep missing each other. :( And Wednesday night (Thursday morning) I have mutual, so I can't talk then. Although I may be able to chat after all the girls go home. We're just having a pizza party at my house so maybe I'll be able to talk afterwards. If not, will you be home Friday morning?

Aubrey said...

Hi Nicole! I had no idea you were in China! Wow! What an adventure!
Your little family is darling, and I LOVE the pictures!