Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A New Career

As the career in my previous life is currently MIA, I've decided on a better way to make some extra cash. Make my kid earn it for me. If there are buyers (and there are), I may as well soak it for what it's worth, right?

Jadyn started modeling back in November and has done a few shoots since then. Like I said before, basically the only qualification to be a baby model in Taiwan is to not be Asian. Crazy, I know--especially considering how cute Asian babies are. I think they think if you are white, you are rich (boy is that a misconception--especially when talking about us). Whatever the reason, it is good for us because Jadyn gets to earn some spending money. We originally thought we'd start a college fund for her. Then we realized how little she'd be earning, so now she gets to spend her money on clothes and toys. I think mommy and daddy will take care of the college fund in a different way. Honestly, the best part about Jade modeling is the catalogs we get to keep at the end. I love seeing the results of the shoots and the professional pictures compiled into a fun keepsake for her and us.

The Way It Works
Jadyn has an agent (we received the contact through my friend, Kay). The baby clothing company hires the agent, who hires the models. Whenever a company chooses Jadyn for their catalog, her agent e-mails me the information and then we show up to the two hour photo shoot. We are paid per hour, in cash, as soon as the shoot is over. The camera, stage, and make-up crew are also hired by the company and are on site when we arrive. Our agent is also there, who translates for us and does a variety of crazy and entertaining "Asian" singing and noises to make Jadyn look at the camera and smile. As you will see in the pictures, Jadyn is in so much awe of what is happening and all the people around, she does not smile. She merely stares. Click here to see her catalog pictures. The catalogs are only circulated in Taiwan--hence the wierd clothes Jadyn models. The modeling also runs in seasons. I think the last one ended in January or February and the next one starts in May.

Fun Results
On Saturday we went to see a few posters of Jadyn in the Miramar mall.







Jadyn is also on a few websites. Check these out:
Chickabiddy Peter Rabbit
Chickabiddy Absorba
Combi
Benny

16 comments:

Katie said...

So cute! We tried to get Maya into modeling when she was a baby, but she freaked out too often. lol. And Zoe WILL NOT smile for photos no matter what, so there's no hope for her. lol. Congrats!

Tara said...

ecCan Graham have an autograph? :) She is so cute...and what a way to earn an extra buck!

Tara said...

Can Graham have an autograph? :) She is so cute...and what a way to earn an extra buck!

Tawnya said...

Oh she is so cute. She looks like a porcelain doll!

simmons said...

She is the cutest one of the whole bunch! I just love the photos!!! You should start modeling with her!

As it is nearly midnight there we wanted to wish Jadyn a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Love you guys

Eric and Darcy said...

She is by far the best model of them all! I can't believe how many pictures she's in. Thanks for posting this...I was wondering if anything turned out from the modeling.

KimWar said...

I love, love, love those pictures. What a fun thing to do. What fantastic photos to have for the future. Love it.

Casey and Winter Rowland said...

She is so cute. I love the last pictures showing off all of her teeth. I cant wait to see her again. I loved looking through the catalog that you gave christy and paul. Everytime I see her she gets more pretty.

Kelli said...

Super cute. That is fun. I am amazed she seems to be so good and patient for the photo shoots. Hope she has a happy birthday today!

Southern Exposure said...

Nicole, I just found your blog through Paige's. So cute!! I love the modeling pics!! Just make sure to keep an eye on Jadyn, if she stops eating or running to the bathroom after she eats!! :-) Hope all is well with you guys!!

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

That is SOOO cool! She will love having those catalogs, what a fun memory!

Brent and Emily said...

SO FUN and SUPER CUTE!!!

Tammy said...

That's awesome! She's such a cutie!

Nicole said...

That is totally awesome! And I don't think she qualifies because she is white...that little baby is a beauty! How fun that she got to see herself on the wall!

amy + jeff said...

This is hilarous and adorable at the same time. What a fun thing for her to see when she is older.

Kay said...

I checked out the catalog pictures and they are so cute. I noticed Jaydn was on the pillars on Zhong Shan Bei Lu...Lizzy was on those same pillars last year....