Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Corner of the Market

I think Hong Kong prepped me for this place.

We went to the Shihlin Night Market on Saturday. Apparently it is the largest night market in Taiwan. One whole section of the market is food stalls; I never saw anything like it in Hong Kong.

The above picture is one little food "station" after another, each with a few old tables and stools. After confronting my food phobia right in the face in Hong Kong, I felt ready to tackle this place. I am also some what comforted knowing Cody is familiar with a lot of the food. We took a loop around the stalls and he explained to me what some of the different food was and then we went back to buy the items we thought looked good. This is what we ate for dinner that night (I'll update the names once I have Cody around to help me with them):

Barbecue Chicken Sandwich



















(flat, fried chicken in a bag)

















Bing Shaw: Strawberry and Passion Fruit

The market was a lot of fun. The food was pretty good, nothing amazing, but definitely worth trying. I did really like the drinks. Usually my drink of choice is ice cold water (which is hard to come by here--it is usually warm, because it just finished boiling out the impurities and they threw a couple ice cubes in it at my request for "ice water"). The strawberry drink was super sweet at first, but I got use to it after a few sips and really enjoyed it--even the chewy, gummy strawberry things at the bottom. As for the passion fruit--I LOVE passion fruit. I tried it for the first time at breakfast the other morning. I had heard of it and had tried passion fruit flavored candy, but never the fresh fruit. Honestly, it tastes like the candy. It is really good. It looks kind of scary, but it tastes great.

2 comments:

The Reimers Family said...

Those pictures stress me out! You know, I am not a fan of passion fruit or mangoes for that matter, maybe I'm just a party pooper?

Luke and Kristin Rudelich said...

Okay...The food looks yucky! Nicole-I would not eat those drinks if I were you. So glad you have an extra bedroom for us. We will be on our way soon( We Hope)