Friday, October 31, 2008

Just For Kids




You Are Candy Corn



Your Halloween personality is whimsical, colorful, and creative. You see Halloween as a time to get your creative juices flowing. Each year, Halloween can't start soon enough for you. You tend to go all out for Halloween. You decorate like crazy and always dress up.


Our faux spider webs were slowly falling off the walls and onto the floor last week. Cody made a comment about them the other day and I replied, "Yah, I thought I might take them down. Halloween is almost over anyway." He cleverly responded, "And it hasn't even begun yet." I thought about that for a second and realized he was right. Technically, it hadn't. But for me, the sooner we start celebrating the better. Decorate the house, attend parties, make Halloween-themed meals, dress up as many times as possible. It is all just so much fun. Why not celebrate all month long. But what about this year? We are in Taiwan. Naturally, I was concerned. We had one party to go to, and no corn maze, no haunted house, no pumpkin walk, no Thanksgiving Point, no mystery dinner.

I was thrilled when I heard our ward would be throwing a party. I needed some way to celebrate this year and a reason to dress up (although I probably would have made us all dress up anyway--party or not). The more I learned about the party, the more I realized it was for kids! The adults were only there to provide the games and bring their children. What?? Halloween is for kids?? Who knew. I've never had a kid on Halloween before, so I never really thought about it. I figured it was for us adults too. I think I learned this from my cool parents. They ALWAYS have a Halloween party to go to (or they throw their own) AND they ALWAYS dress up. I absolutely love it! I wish I had pictures of some of their costumes to share. My dad is a very good artist/craftsman and very creative, so they have come up with some pretty awesome ideas. One year he was the abominable snowman. This year my mom was a Geisha. I can only imagine how good she looked!

Friday night was pretty hectic trying to run a game and handle a wiggly six-month old, but the party turned out really cute and the kids had a great time. I wasn't too proud of our costumes, but I thought Jadyn still looked cute. I even got kind of sad when I learned there was a costume contest and we didn't win. Not because someone else won, but because I know I could have done better with more time and more resources (like the stuff in our shipment that still hasn't left Phoenix). Even if we still wouldn't have won, I could have at least been proud of the creativity and thought that went into it. I had such a great idea for Jade's costume, but we ended up having to pick one out of the two baby costumes we found at the costume store here. Guess it will have to wait until next year.





After talking with family members about their Halloween activities and seeing several Halloween posts, I am convinced Halloween is NOT just for kids. We can have fun celebrating, no matter our age! I may just need to throw my own adult party (before the actual holiday) next year.

8 comments:

Charise said...

Your costumes look great!!!
Nicole, that wig is hilarious.
Love it. Love it.

simmons said...

Hey Friend! I must say you pulled Halloween off well, even with what little resources you have! I think if I took your little Halloween candy test I wouldn't even register because I just don't even compare with you. No dressing up for Collin and I (except for when we hung out with you on Halloween, you made us!) Really you guys look super cute and I think you should wear that wig on special occasions... you know like going to church the grocery store, etc, I am sure you would give the people of Taiwan a great treat! They will think you are a movie star and want to take your picture all of the time!
Jaydn looks super cute! She is getting so big. I have to admit after watching the video of her sitting up and playing, Mack and I are working on the whole sitting up thing. She is doing so good!

The Reimers Family said...

Halloween is not for kids, it's for me! It has always been my favorite and having kids just adds to the fun! We were just lucky enough to have parents who made it fun for us growing up and now it just sticks. Jadyn looks so beautiful and you and Cody looked so cute! I can't see why you wouldn't have won?

Eric and Darcy said...

Oh Nicole, you guys looked great! Jadyn looked so cute. I think she should've won!

Melissa L. said...

I think you guys look pretty snazzy. :) My favorite costumes, though, were the ones you wore to Shannon's Harry Potter party. :)

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Love Cody's comment, that totally cracked me up! That is so spence too!

You guys look great, and Jadyn is gorgeous!!!

Brent and Emily said...

ADORABLE costumes!!! I'm glad that there are still adults who dress up. Halloween just for kids...I don't think so!!!

Tiffany said...

I can't believe I missed this when I checked out your blog yesterday. I love your costumes and I'm very impressed that you pulled it off in Taiwan. Jadyn is absolutely adorable, and guess what... as of this year I've decided that I like Halloween as well. The Howl kind of turned me off of it, but one of these years if we're in the same town, we'll have to plan a party together.