During a conversation about cooking, I realized I don't have a few staple recipes I make over and over again. At least in the same month or two. I do have several that Cody and I refer to as "make agains"--and I do make them again--but I tend to try a variety of new recipes. For better or worse. Some are definitely not "make agains." I am such a foodie that I feel like there are too many different foods out there that I'm always finding new recipes I'd like to try. Lately I've been in a mood for making autumn and Halloween type dishes and desserts. I figure I can't be the only one constantly on the look out for delicious new recipes, so I thought I'd share some that I've made in the past couple weeks (click on the titles for the recipe)! Disclaimer: I also like talking food, so this will probably only hold the attention of fellow foodies.
Let's start with breakfast.
Buttermilk Pancakes
For about a year or so I was continuously trying a new pancake recipe, determined to find the perfect one. Pancakes are a frequent Saturday morning breakfast at our house, so I wanted the best! Then one day my cousin posted the above recipe on her recipe exchange blog. Of course I tried it; at that point I was trying every pancake recipe I came across. Eureka! This was it. Perfection. Thick, fluffy, delicious pancakes. Sometimes I even substitute whole wheat flour for some of the white and they still turn out great. Or I like to substitute 1 c. orange juice for 1 c. buttermilk and add 2 Tbs. orange zest for amazing Orange Pancakes. Now I'm on the search for the perfect maple syrup recipe. I can't find a good one with a nice, thick consistency. Anybody have one for me??
Homemade Granola
Western foods can be so pricey that for cost savings, I end up doing a lot of things from scratch around here. Like homemade tortillas, refried beans, and enchilada sauce. If I could make berries and dairy products from scratch, I totally would--those are so expensive here!! So recently I decided to make my own granola. I looked at a bunch of recipes online and then remembered my mom use to make granola. Why not use that recipe; I already knew it was good! So I did. And it got Cody's and Jadyn's approval, so I made it again and probably will continue to make it once in awhile.
Moving on to dinner.
Breadstick Bones n' Blood and Candy Corn Pizza

I thought these were super cute and easy ideas. I would suggest rolling out and cutting the breadstick dough thinner than I did. With the extra rise during baking, I came away with some pretty fluffy bones. As for the pizza, it may have more of a candy corn appearance if you use garlic butter or Alfredo sauce instead of red sauce. I think that is what they did, but I didn't notice that until after I'd already prepared the tomato sauce. Tastes good either way. :)
Cream of Broccoli Soup
I've been trying to think of foods that could be easily turned into creepy or fun Halloween dishes. I want real meals--not snacky foods like hot dog mummies, or chicken fingers, etc. And there are already plenty of Halloween treats and goodies. Do you have any good Halloween dinner ideas for me?
I thought this soup would be great served in little cauldrons as "Witches Brew" at a Halloween themed dinner. Alas, I don't have any cauldrons and couldn't find any at the Halloween market... I'll have to keep looking. This soup is super yummy, by the way!
Now for desserts.
Peanut Butter Popcorn
Last week was my last Sunday teaching my Primary class, so I wanted to bring them a treat. Our Primary Presidency is ridiculously amazing and on top of things and they found my replacement already! Now I'll just be helping out here and there until I deliver. This popcorn is similar to caramel corn, but with peanut butter and is so much better (in my opinion) because it always turns out soft and chewy!
Delicious Dirt with Worms
A simple FHE treat: chocolate pudding topped with crushed oreos and gummy worms. Jadyn helped put the worms in--can you tell which one is hers?
Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
My friend had a birthday last week, and well, October birthdays will pretty much always get something Halloweenish from me. I love carrot cake and though I wouldn't deem this recipe the best I've tried, it has such simple ingredients you're almost guaranteed to have them on hand. Top with a ghost by piping on the frosting with a large round tip, then use a toothpick dipped in black food coloring gel to "draw" on the faces. Easy peasy.
Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes
I have been dying to try this recipe and it didn't disappoint! These shakes were a delicious weekend treat while we watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown last Saturday. I even used Shannon's glorious tutorial for homemade pumpkin puree. It is such a great alternative to canned pumpkin.
Let's start with breakfast.
Buttermilk Pancakes
Homemade Granola
Western foods can be so pricey that for cost savings, I end up doing a lot of things from scratch around here. Like homemade tortillas, refried beans, and enchilada sauce. If I could make berries and dairy products from scratch, I totally would--those are so expensive here!! So recently I decided to make my own granola. I looked at a bunch of recipes online and then remembered my mom use to make granola. Why not use that recipe; I already knew it was good! So I did. And it got Cody's and Jadyn's approval, so I made it again and probably will continue to make it once in awhile.
Moving on to dinner.
Breadstick Bones n' Blood and Candy Corn Pizza
I thought these were super cute and easy ideas. I would suggest rolling out and cutting the breadstick dough thinner than I did. With the extra rise during baking, I came away with some pretty fluffy bones. As for the pizza, it may have more of a candy corn appearance if you use garlic butter or Alfredo sauce instead of red sauce. I think that is what they did, but I didn't notice that until after I'd already prepared the tomato sauce. Tastes good either way. :)
Cream of Broccoli Soup
I've been trying to think of foods that could be easily turned into creepy or fun Halloween dishes. I want real meals--not snacky foods like hot dog mummies, or chicken fingers, etc. And there are already plenty of Halloween treats and goodies. Do you have any good Halloween dinner ideas for me?
I thought this soup would be great served in little cauldrons as "Witches Brew" at a Halloween themed dinner. Alas, I don't have any cauldrons and couldn't find any at the Halloween market... I'll have to keep looking. This soup is super yummy, by the way!
Now for desserts.
Peanut Butter Popcorn
Last week was my last Sunday teaching my Primary class, so I wanted to bring them a treat. Our Primary Presidency is ridiculously amazing and on top of things and they found my replacement already! Now I'll just be helping out here and there until I deliver. This popcorn is similar to caramel corn, but with peanut butter and is so much better (in my opinion) because it always turns out soft and chewy!
Delicious Dirt with Worms
A simple FHE treat: chocolate pudding topped with crushed oreos and gummy worms. Jadyn helped put the worms in--can you tell which one is hers?
Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
My friend had a birthday last week, and well, October birthdays will pretty much always get something Halloweenish from me. I love carrot cake and though I wouldn't deem this recipe the best I've tried, it has such simple ingredients you're almost guaranteed to have them on hand. Top with a ghost by piping on the frosting with a large round tip, then use a toothpick dipped in black food coloring gel to "draw" on the faces. Easy peasy.
Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes
I have been dying to try this recipe and it didn't disappoint! These shakes were a delicious weekend treat while we watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown last Saturday. I even used Shannon's glorious tutorial for homemade pumpkin puree. It is such a great alternative to canned pumpkin.
What Halloween and Autumn recipes do you love? Please share with me!
6 comments:
Fun!!! Hey I have a recipe that i'm going to try this year. Dinner in a pumpkin. would you like the recipe? Also I have a good recipe for pumpkin cheesecake from the lion house cookbook. Would you like that as well?
You are such a fun mom and cook!!
I agree with your friend that you are such a fun mom. Do I have a recipie for you. The best maple syrup ever... I am emailing right now.
Two words:
pumpkin stew. Cody loves it! You have the recipe, it's in the book under pumpkin brains.
Moroccan sweet potato stew. I can e-mail you the recipe if you'd like. Also acorn squash with lentils and sausage, which you can find at http://saltyspoon.com. I'm excited to try out a couple of the recipes you posted!
Karen & Melissa: I would love the recipes! You can email me at nicole.rowland@yahoo.com. Thanks!!!
Post a Comment