Monday, October 17, 2011

Halloween Kick-Off

Upon learning of my love for Halloween, my good friend, Betsey, had the brilliant idea that we should do a Halloween activity every week during October. Since then we've decided to keep it to two, but I started off the celebrations with a small party last week.

Of course costumes were welcomed. Jadyn and I dressed up as Fancy Nancy and her neighbor, Mrs. DeVine. I figured with Fancy Nancy, anything goes, so we merely raided Jadyn's dress up drawer and threw on a curly wig (even though it wasn't brown/red) to come up with something. I also used items out of my closet and a wig for my costume. So easy! To give you an idea, this is kind of what we were going for:


Aaaand here we are:
All the kids were dressed up so cute:
I can't get enough of that little bumble bee in black leggin's. Seriously.


We started off the party with a little bat craft.

I'm a sucker for kids' hand prints, so I substituted them for the printable wings.

Our first game was Guess the Ghost.
The girls laughed hysterically as they checked who was under the sheet.

Next we played Pass the Pumpkin (played like Hot Potato).Please notice the cute little spider dead asleep on her mama's lap in the background. So adorable. Oh, yay! She decided to join us. Isn't she a doll?!!
The Monster Dance was next on our agenda. Can you say camera hog?!
If you are in the market for Halloween music, we looked through a bunch and Cody and I thought this was one of the best mixes. Then we supplemented it with Ghostbusters and The Addams Family theme songs.

To help pass out the treats, we had a Pumpkin Walk next (similar to cake walk).

When the music stopped and a child's number was drawn, they would get to go to the treat table and get a "sweet pumpkin" (yummy orange rolls) and "Frankenstein juice" (apple juice box).
See that fun quote printable in the background? My super cute sister-in-law sent me the link to it. All you have to do is print it and put it in a frame. Go get one!
Snack time!
We ended the party with Halloween Bingo (go to this site; it is awesome for custom Bingo cards--for practically any occasion)! For Bingo prizes, we gave out sucker ghosts that Jade helped make.
I didn't think Jade would want to keep her wig on, but she wore it the whole time and for awhile afterwards! Here she is giving me a "lesson," still in costume, well after the party had ended.

11 comments:

Katie said...

How fun! Love the costumes. I'm sorry we weren't able to make it. :(

Lindsay said...

What super-cute kiddos!

Jen Reil said...

I love Fancy Nancy- you two look fabulous! What an awesome party too!

mom said...

I love it! Gets me in the Halloween spirit. What fun treats! The kids are all so cute!

Shannon said...

Wow! Seriously Nicole? Your costumes look amazing! I love them!!!! I love that you were dressed up to the nines. I am the same way. We just went to a party where most of the adults were not in costume, and the ones who were were just in some random whatevers. But Sam and I were in full on costumes with the masks and make-up (well, I was in costume make-up, not Sam). Seeing you in yours makes me wish, yet again, that we lived closer because YOU truly understand what Halloween is all about. Not to mention those to-die-for orange rolls. So super cute. I'm absolutely stealing that!!!! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

Shannon said...

I just noticed that your orange rolls are Becca's orange rolls. Or, "grapefruit's" orange rolls! How in the world did you find her blog? She is a family friend. Did I give you that link? Or is this just a very very small world? Those are the best orange rolls by the way. As is her butternut squash soup. And her huevos rancheros. She is amazing in the kitchen.

Nicole said...

Shannon, I think you posted her recipe or link to her blog a long time ago (like maybe even years ago?) and I had used the orange roll recipe then and had it in my recipe folder to use again! It is way yummy. I've made the huevos rancheros you posted on your blog (loved it!); I'll have to go find the squash soup one now!

Sam said...

Nicole, if you look on the recipe blog (I think I tagged it so it should be under soups), it's on there. With a few variations I made that I think took it over the top!

Sam said...

That was me, not Sam.

Shannon

shaunlori said...

You two look exquisite!! (that's fancy for gorgeous) Happy Halloween!!!!

ej said...

If I could "like" Lori's comment, I would, lol.
K, this whole post made me wish we still lived nearby each other, I wanted to play!!! Such a cute idea!! You and Jaydn's outfits were "exquisite" :) But that doesn't surprise me in the least. Not when you're in charge. Such a fun party!!!!!!!!