Have I ever mentioned that one of my favorite things about living abroad is all the amazing people we get to meet? Seriously one of the best perks. Let me just tell you a little bit about the ladies in our branch. Name just about any of them and I pretty much want to grow up to be like them. Most of them are Westerners and have lived in Hong Kong anywhere from 1 to 25+ years. The thing about these expat wards is that the members really take care of each other. These ladies know how to live the gospel and give service. Let me give you a few examples. Our Relief Society has an e-mail list where a message can be sent to everyone at the same time. Send a list about refreshments--or any given assignment--and the need is filled within minutes. There is a non-profit organization in China called
Starfish Foster Home that once sent a request to have women sit for three days straight with an orphan coming to Hong Kong for surgery. Within a few hours enough women had volunteered their time. If an e-mail goes out about taking in meals to someone and you aren't at your computer, forget about it. You won't even have a chance to fill a slot. These ladies seem to spend their days volunteering in the temple, holding Institute, and probably helping others. There are so many stories I could relate to you, but let's just leave it at these women are selfless, Christlike, and nothing short of amazing.
Maybe some of you will remember how worried I was about what to do with Jadyn when Ridge is born? Subsequent to that time we have had at least five offers to take her. It was like Heavenly Father calling me to repentance. I kind of felt He was telling me, "See. I will take care of you; you don't need to worry so much."
On top of that, another one of the ladies in our branch headed up a baby shower for me. I am one of those people who doesn't think I need a shower for a second baby. If you knew the lady, you would know there was no getting out of it though. The entire time leading up to the shower I felt bad that one was even being thrown for me. Come to find out, it sounds like it is pretty standard to throw a shower for any new baby coming into the branch and to invite the entire Relief Society. That made me feel a lot better about it. When I thanked the woman again after the shower, she told me, "Know that in the gospel we truly are Sisters. I love serving." I mean, seriously. Incredible people we are dealing with here. I love them. All the ladies at the shower were so gracious and supportive, I had an absolute blast hanging out with them!


I asked one of the gals to take pictures, hoping for pictures of everyone that came. I wasn't really paying attention, but when I got home and looked through the camera there were only a couple of the other guests and the rest were of me opening presents! The last thing we want to see is multiple pictures of the fat girl! I guess I should be more specific next time. :)

Sister Bradford, who planned the shower, is on the left and Sister Lai, who made the adorable cake (below) is on the right.

Adorable and yummy pumpkin cake!
4 comments:
Okay, totally make me cry why dontcha? I am so happy to see that you are being taken care of, especially because I've been miserable thinking about the fact that you're having a boy and I can't even throw a shower for tou to get all the gender appropriate things you need! What sweet sisters, and what an amazing woman you are for recognizing Him in them. It is said that the elite will see His hand in all things, and you do more than anyone I know. When you were talking about how incredible those other women are, I couldn't help but get choked up because that's exactly how I feel about you, down to wanting to grow up to be just like you! And I'm sure I'm not alone in that. Love the shower, love the cake, love the pictures of the fat girl (so not, by the way!). Glad you had fun!
What an awesome ward! I think I know Sis Bradford's daughter. She was my visiting teacher while our husbands went to grad school in Michigan. Small world! Good luck with Ridge's arrival. :)
Nicole,I miss you! I wish we were all together to help you celebrate the upcoming birth of baby boy Ridge! Glad that you were so cared for by the women in Hong Kong. Can't wait for the big news in a couple weeks! xoxo Lori
That is so sweet! I'm so glad to hear they are taking care of you there. I can't even tell you're pregnant in any of the pic's! You look so good. Are you starting to panic yet? I think I'm past the panicking and to the ready point finally! I can't wait to see what little Ridge looks like. I wish we could decide on a name! :)
Post a Comment