Friday, June 3, 2011

The World's A Stage

Sometimes I wonder if I should be concerned about how unaware Jade is of "the general public." Should I be worried about appropriate social behavior at this age? In the elevator, whether other people are in there or not, she loves to look at her reflection on the doors and make faces, dance, etc. At the store, on the street, in the train station, on the train, on the escalators, etc. etc., she is always talking, singing, dancing, climbing, swinging, running, etc. etc. She has SO much energy and doesn't ever seem to care who is around to witness it.

Case in point. A couple weeks ago we were at the public hospital where I have been doing checkups and will be delivering (more on that another day), and as we were waiting for my appointment, the energy inside her couldn't handle sitting still anymore and just had to be released. She went to the front of the room, where it was obviously a stage made just for her, and started dancing. She did twirls and jumps and whatever else you'd call it for probably a good 5 minutes, unaware of anyone else in the room (besides me), before I started recording.

I knew as soon as I started recording she would want to stop and watch herself on camera so that's why I waited. We got a bit of it though--just in pieces. As Jadyn is dancing, I'm debating with myself, is this appropriate "public" or "social" behavior? Is it rude? Is it disrespectful? Is it a disturbance? I still don't know, but the sad thing is if we were in the States, I probably would have reacted differently? What I do know is after the first few minutes of her performance I heard giggles behind me. I turned around to find a group of nurses who had gathered in a huddle to watch her. All with smiles on their faces. At least someone besides her mother found Jade entertaining.

This next video was weeks earlier when she found a "stage" on Lamma Island to perform for my parents.


In addition to dancing, Jade also enjoys other forms of art, one of them being drawing. When my dad was here, they were drawing together and he drew a quick sketch of Jade (seriously I think this took him a couple minutes):
So Jadyn drew one of her daddy:

Last week during a fireside with Elder Holland, she told me she was going to draw a flower. So she did. Then I told her to draw a sun and cloud, handing her orange and blue. Later she was still working on her picture when Cody picked up a crayon to join in. She promptly told him, "No! I am drawing a rainbow." This is the finished product:
This was the first time she actually initiated a drawing that wasn't a person. I was (obviously) so proud! I love it so much, I am going to keep this picture forever!

5 comments:

betsey said...

So cute! I loved how the lady in the waiting room did not look up from her reading/phone. Hilarious! And I loved the bow at the end of every performance. She is fantastic!

Kay said...

i love this post because it reminds me of another girl i know (liz). i have to say though she still does this in the states and i don't care what people think. i just tell her to turn down the volume!

Shannon said...

I'm horrible. I laughed out loud when she fell on her face from spinning so hard. That was so funny. I love that she bows after each little performance, what a HAM!!!! She is so funny. And I have already told you a million times what an amazing artist I think she is, but seriously. That girl has some talent! Thanks for sharing her with all of us! I had fun talking to her the other day, and I love that she sent me messages (which she told me she was going to do). Sweet girl.

mom said...

Jadyn is so entertaining! I love watching her perform. It was so fun. Very anxious to have her here in our home dancing around!!!! luv ya all

Darrell & Valerie said...

Love your blog. It is fun to see all the videos and pictures. Jadyn is so cute! When my kids were little I would try to watch peoples reactions. If people weren't bothered, then I would let them have fun.