One night it was already past 8 p.m. and I was feeling overwhelmed. I was trying to get dishes done and about five loads of clean laundry were stacked on the couch, waiting for me to come fold them. I guess Cody sensed the way I was feeling, because without saying a thing he took the big stack of clothes back into our room, folded them, and put them all away! When I went to the bedroom and saw him putting away the last couple shirts, I about started to cry.
Each Sunday Cody is my complete partner--if not an overcompensating one--in getting Jadyn ready for church. He gets her bathed and dressed, and packs her bag and snacks. And he has always been this helpful; at least as long as I can remember. Even when Jade was a baby, he would take her during Relief Society so I could have at least an hour break each week.
A time when I was about to say something degrading about my mothering/wifeing skills, Cody cut me off mid sentence and told me, "Stop! Whatever you were going to say don't say it. Whatever it was it is not true and I don't think it so don't even say it." That may sound a little harsh, but it was in fact just what I needed. A mother who often feels inadequate needs to just be shut up once in awhile.
He never complains that with being pregnant I'm exhausted by 8 every night and I just want to sit on the couch because I'm too tired to move. That usually means the messy kitchen from dinner gets left until tomorrow but like I said he never complains. In fact he usually empathizes with me and tells me to just relax. That always makes me feel a whole lot less lazy and guilty.
After work one day I asked him what he took for lunch that day. He said nothing because he ran out of time in the morning to make one. I asked him, "Why didn't you tell me? I could have made it for you." His response: "No I'm not going to do that. You already do everything else for me. I can make my own lunch!"
As the two of us were waiting for the train, I told Cody that I hoped I would get a seat because my legs were killing me. I've had really sharp pains up the backs of my thighs for the past few weeks. Disappointingly, the seats were all taken when we got on the train. Cody was watching like a hawk, and as soon as one opened he pounced. He full-on reached his arm out and told a 20-something kid, who was about to sit down, to "hold on" as he held the seat open for me. I thought it was so chivalrous for him to take such good care of his aching, pregnant wifey! In that instant, I felt my love grow that much more for him.
I could go on and on, but Cody is so humble he won't like that I've publicly raved about him like this as it is. I'll stop there and just say that I do indeed love, appreciate, and admire my wonderful husband very, very much.
3 comments:
And he's a great home teacher, too!! :)
i think he's such a gorgeous man....
-Jake
this post makes me cry...thanks for sharing. You two are so perfect for each other.
Post a Comment