Monday, November 2, 2009

The Making of Little Red

I am one of those people who loves family theme costumes. Cheesy? Maybe. The most fun thing ever? Definitely. I was so excited to actually have my sewing machine to make Jade's costume this year (unlike last year--remember?) and plan accordingly!

First, I had to take a trip to the fabric market. I rounded up a couple girlfriends and made the 45 to 60 minutes trek by bus, MRT, and then foot. I wish I would have taken pictures of the market; I had planned on it, but once I was there I was so excited about finding the perfect fabrics for Jade's costume, I totally forgot. So I stole some pics that my friends took while we were there. The market is in an old dingy building, with a majority of the fabric stalls on the second floor. The large room is lined with stall after stall after stall, with fabrics packed from floor to ceiling. The market was a fun and successful outing. I was so glad to have Erin and Sally there to offer an opinion.

The best part? All the fabric and thread cost less than US$9 (honestly Jade's costume could have cost half as much; without a pattern I didn't know how much fabric to buy, so I purchased way more than was needed).

Next, I had to design the costume and create patterns. Still not sure where to buy patterns here, so we made do. I did the majority of sewing while Jadyn was napping. That made it a little difficult when I needed to figure out the sizing, so I used a model. Turns out Mr. Duck and Jadyn have about the same size waist.

I made her costume so she could use the tulle tutu for dress-ups and wear the skirt to church.






Last, we added a few finishing touches.

The result is Little Red Riding Hood.

3 comments:

Katie said...

very cute! I just got a sewing machine, and I hope to make my kids costumes next year, too!

simmons said...

Super cute! You did such a great job! Maybe I should just send my requests for you of what I want as a costume and you could make one for Mack next year??? Or maybe for our whole family, I’m sure Collin would love that! What do you think?

I saw your family pictures and I must say you did an awesome job!Did you guys scare Jadyn a little? Grandma and the Wolf costume were amazing! Although that wig and your wrinkles you wore scared me a little... it looked a little too real. Are you really getting that old! Ha ha ha, aren't I funny!

I also admit I am bit jealous that you don’t have to bundle up under your costumes!

love ya!

Kelli said...

I don't understand how you can be so creative and such a good accountant/auditor at the same time. I for sure did not get that ability and I am SOOO jealous! Super cute costumes!!