"More than a century ago, there was an area of Hong Kong Island named Tai Hang. Although now, Tai Hang is a busy commercial center in Causeway Bay, at that time, Tai Hang was only a small fishing village with a few hundred native inhabitants.
One year, during the early autumn typhoon season, a python entered the village and the locals immediately killed the serpent and left its body. Shortly thereafter, the island was ravaged by a massive storm which devastated Tai Hang village and left plague and disease in its wake. In the chaos surrounding these events, a village elder was blessed with a vision in which a Buddha instructed that a dragon dance be performed in the village to remedy the ailments. The villagers built a huge dragon made of incense and fire crackers and danced through the streets of Tai Hang on the Mid-Autumn Festival. The sulfur and smoke from the burning incense cleaned and cured the village from its plague. Every year, during the mid-autumn festival, locals perform this dragon dance to remember these events and celebrate the Buddha who brought saving grace." (Compliments of Ball of Dirt.)
Cody had the day off on Monday for the Mid-Autumn Festival, so we observed the holiday by going to Victoria Park to see the lanterns and Tai Hang to see the Fire Dragon dance.
6 comments:
Yes, I know I said "my eyes are burning from the smell." And yes, I know, that makes absolutely no sense at all. What I meant to say was "my eyes are burning form all the smoke." But because the smell of incense was so strong, I couldn't think straight. (incense... can't think straight, you put the two together...hehe)
I would like to be taken off the go aggies go list. I do not think that is funny. Thanks, Collin
Take your pick, buddy, take your pick. It's either that, or the "Scholars and Champions" one. I've lost all creative control of this bad boy.
Make a coolest person ever tab...
So it is time to update your blog!!! It has been six whole days... what are we to do!!!
So Collin wants to know who Lizzy Borden is but I just don't think he will appreciate the story like we do. Did you meet her? I'm a little scared for you at this point, so please tell me the story!
We hope you guys are doing great! Sorry my husband is being picky about his title on the blog... he just dosen't appreciate Logan like we do. Maybe I will start singing the Lizzy Borden song to him along with the BYU song!
Once a Cougar (as a kid) Always a Cougar. I thought going to school and getting my degree from the U would help me learn to at least cheer for them a little but it has actually done the opposite. I hate the Utes! And there is no reason to like the Aggies either....
Post a Comment