Probably the most thrilling day in Phuket for me was on New Year’s Eve day when we went on a kid-friendly snorkel trip to Khai Nok Island. ![]()
Cody and I were debating back and forth as to which boat/snorkel tour to take, especially considering we had Ridge along with us. Our hotel recommended this one that was specifically geared toward young children. ![]()
The boat ride was a short 15 minutes—which, kids aside, is even a really good thing for me especially when choppy waters are involved (does anyone remember our very first attempt to see an outlying island in Thailand?).
When we arrived we immediately noticed the tiny island was filled with row upon row of colorful beach chairs and umbrellas. ![]()
I told Cody there is no way the place actually gets filled up. I mean really, the island was tiny; there couldn’t possibly be that many people that come to it. ![]()
Unfortunately, I was wrong. We were soon joined by many, many more tour groups. Most of which were from Mainland China. ![]()
If you recall, the Chinese can be superstitious about water and it appears many of them don’t have a whole lot of experience swimming (see video below). Therefore, it made sense that they were all on the “kid-friendly tour.” Can you spot Cody and Jade? ![]()
We started out playing in the fine white sand before we moved into the clear green water (at least it was clear until all of Mainland decided to join us).![]()
The water was calm and shallow with lots of fish. All it took was a nibble of bread and they would come swarming. We bought a couple loaves and were entertained for hours. ![]()
[Important: Please notice the Chinese lady who is trying to learn to swim in this video.]
It wasn’t long before Ridge was relaxing with a piece of delicious white bread himself.
And it didn’t take long for Jade to be comfortable enough in the water to be ready to try her first time snorkeling!!! This is where the thrilling part comes in. Little cutie.
Ridge thought Jiejie was playing a funny game of peek-a-boo.
Cody took Jade out and taught her what to do. I wasn’t sure if she’d take to it, but she picked up on it pretty quick and really loved it!
Then it was time for the part of the tour where they took us back out on the boat to a deep snorkel area with coral and bigger fish. Jade was up for it!! ![]()
Cody was so sweet to let Jade and me go while he stayed on the boat with Ridge and tried to capture a few pictures.
If I’m being completely honest, I have to admit I was quite nervous to be out in the deep, somewhat turbulent waters with my four year-old. She seemed perfectly calm.
Despite my bit of anxiety, it was a very special and memorable time with my girl. We laughed and pointed under water at the coral and fish we were seeing. I cannot tell you how thrilled I was with Jade. Her snorkeling—something I hadn’t really anticipated her to do—probably made the entire trip for me. I really can’t explain how proud and excited I was about it the whole time. And still am, really. ![]()
The quick boat ride back was just enough to lull Ridge into a sweet slumber. ![]()
Jade, on the other hand, was ready for some more snorkeling!
We grabbed our bread and headed out. I attracted the fish by breaking off pieces of bread,and Jade snorkeled around watching them. It was perfect. Seriously, this has to be one of my favorite things I’ve ever done. Watching my little girl snorkel. What a riot! I’m so glad we chose the kid adventure for our tour.
Pretty soon Ridge woke up and we were all back in the water having fun together.![]()
Here is a video of our girl snorkeling!
This little snorkel trip was a perfect way to end 2012. Between vacations and swim lessons, Jade and Ridge had spent quite a bit of time in water during the year. For that reason, they had received swimming related ornaments for Christmas. Now that Jade finished off the year by actually snorkeling, both their ornaments fit quite perfectly, wouldn’t you say?!
1 comment:
Ok I'm dying over this! I'm SO impressed with my Niece! Seriously no fear whatsoever! The First time I went snorkeling I think I started crying because I really just couldn't do it, and I was 15! The second time was much more successful. But there were so many fish! I don't think that I could have stood out there and let them swim by me! That is just so gross!! and the lady learning how to swim? Really? Someone let her know that you actually need to get in the water, and you need your arms to do some work too. And Ridge is just a little ham it kills me! They are so cute! I'm glad you guys had so much fun! The Christmas ornaments are perfect, and I pretty much laughed out loud when I saw Ridge's. To Funny!!
Post a Comment