Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Christmas Gift for YOU (and your family)!

I have some things I’d really like to share with you! I hope you will find them useful this holiday season.

Last week we held our annual Relief Society Christmas dinner. We really wanted to center the evening around Christ. RS Christmas Invite

Scan0002Even more than that we wanted to help the women center the month around Christ in their own homes. We prepared a few lessons and activities that we presented that evening. A set of each were waiting for the women to take after the program, complete and ready to be used in their homes as FHE lessons.

 IMG_2205

Our RS Evening Meeting Committee is full of talented and reliable women.  IMG_2207Our Committee head, Shanna, shared a very sweet book called, I Believe in Santa Claus by Diane G. Adamson.  The book illustrates how believing in Santa can help teach children of Christ and his perfect attributes.  I thought it was excellent as I am someone who struggles with the idea of Santa and the elves overshadowing the celebration of Jesus Christ, yet I enjoy the fun and traditions of the holiday as well.     

Shanna used the book as an introduction to the FHE lesson she prepared.  I have attached it so you can simply print it and use it with YOUR own family!

Print the picture with the door, fold in half, and glue the picture of the Savior on the inside. 

Who's knocking jesus-christ-39623-print

Next, Denise shared a simple scripture advent where you light a candle each night as you read scriptures about Christ with your family.  IMG_2209

Our family has really been enjoying this one. I love to read about Christ and think about him, his life, and his attributes each evening.  It really brings a sweet spirit into our home.  Jade has also really enjoyed this one.  She loves to watch the flickering candle as we read and blow it out each night!  Simply click on the below pictures, print them, light a candle, read the poem, then read the scriptures that go with the corresponding day on the chart.  A simple way to think about Christ all month long!

Scripture Candle1-1 Scripture Candle2

IMG_2213Lastly, I shared a tradition that we do in our home.  Making one of these for each sister took a lot of hours and a lot of hands; I am very grateful to Shanna and Denise for helping to make it possible. 

A lot of decoration is put up during Christmas time.  Many of which are actually symbols of Christ.  I really want my children to realize how much of our Christmas traditions center around Jesus.  I hope they will think of him when they see the Christmas symbols.

Below is a picture of the trees we gave out at our RS dinner.  The trees are laminated and have ornaments that attach by velcro. 

Christmas tree with symbols

Here are the files you can use to make your own.  We simply printed the trees on green card stock, the ornaments on white card stock.  We used large shaped punches to punch out the ornament shapes (but you can just cut them out using scissors), I had mine laminated, then stuck on velcro dots to the tree and ornaments.  That way it should last for years!  If you want a quick, one time lesson, simply print it out and use tape or glue for your children to stick on the ornaments.  The lesson on the right, below, is for young children.  It is simple and concise. 

Christmas Tree and Ornaments-1 Christmas Tree and Ornaments-2 Christmas Symbols (young children)

The four-page lesson below is more in depth for youth and adults.

Christmas Symbols-1 Christmas Symbols-2 Christmas Symbols-3 Christmas Symbols-4

Please note the song listed at the end of the long lesson: Our Christmas Story Tree Words by Jan Pinborough, Music by Michael F. Moody (click on the link for the words and sheet music).  I absolutely love this song and we always sing it at the end of the lesson—after we go through all the symbols and ornaments.  If you are musically challenged like me, you can download the music podcast here.  That’s what we use to sing it. 

As a bonus, I have one more activity you could use this month.  We didn’t present it at Relief Society, but this is our FHE lesson for this coming Monday night.  I think it’s cute, so I thought I’d share it as well!

Read the below story, Straw for the Manger, from the Friendstraw for the manger-1 straw for the manger-2

Talk about some ideas of how we can serve others as gifts for the Savior.  Then make a manger out of popsicle sticks using this tutorial.  Encourage the child to find ways to serve others throughout the month.  Keep the manger out until Christmas, filling it with straw (Easter grass or shredded paper), as the child performs kind acts.  On Christmas Eve discuss the services performed, how it made the child feel, and how it strengthens our relationship with Jesus.

I hope these lessons and ideas will be beneficial to you and your family.  I hope they will help us remember the Savior and strengthen our faith, love, devotion, and relationship with him this Christmas season.  Merry Christmas!!

Note:  If the above instructions are not clear on how to use these files or if you have trouble downloading or printing, please let me know!  OR if you want the actual word or pdf documents so you can edit, tell me and I will email them to you.

6 comments:

glen, paige, & baby preston said...

This is amazing!!! I am so using these!!! You ladies are all so talented! Thank you, thank you!!!

glen, paige, & baby preston said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

You are amazing. Seriously. I am in awe of you. What great ideas. Thank you for sharing these. I am in tears over here, and I cannot wait to share these with my boys and help them understand what this holiday is really about.

Tawnya said...

That looks incredible!!

Jen Reil said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I am SO going to print these out! We have a 24 Days of Christmas book that we read each day in December leading up to Christmas. It has a scripture, carol, and story. We've been doing it since our twins' first Christmas and we still love it 10 years later. I can send you the files too, if you'd like. Just send me your email again (reil.fun@gmail.com) :).

Kay said...

Hey Nicole, Thanks for the gift. I can't wait to use the santa thing as I really struggle with him. I love the scriptures and the candle too. THis is just the stuff that I need! You are AWESOME! Merry Christmas!