Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jade's 1st Day of School

Yesterday was Jadyn's first day of school. Here she is all ready to go in her school uniform. They certainly could be worse, but I personally think she should have a skirt or dress or something. :) Even Jadyn told me this morning that she wanted to put a flower on her shirt so it would be a girl shirt. She was very enthused when I picked her up from school yesterday, so I think she had a good time. Originally I had it in my head that she would come home and we'd eat lunch together while she gave me a play by play of everything that happened that day. Then on Sunday I realized that was not going to happen. For the most part, I can't even get her to tell me what went on in nursery.
When I picked her up, the teacher told me she did great, but that's all she said. The first thing Jade said to me was, "I want the girl I sat by to come play at our house." Me: "Okay, well what was her name?" Jade: "I don't know. The girl that sat by me." I told her when she sits by her again to ask her what her name is. I asked her if she talked to her and Jade said yes and tried to explain their conversation about a tiger the girl has at home... or something? Cody and I decided we would love to be a fly on the wall to witness these little interactions. I'll be honest, it is hard not knowing what she is doing and saying every minute of her day. I actually became a little emotional during family prayers as we were getting ready to head out the door for her first day. After we came home for lunch we met up with Daddy for an ice cream cone to celebrate Jade's first day.

Through tidbits Jade revealed throughout the day, these are some of the things I gathered:

-They sang a song about sticky gum (she started singing it on the way home).
-They sang a goodbye song while sitting in a circle.
-Jade cried when the teachers asked her to leave her indoor shoes at school (each child has to have a clean, indoor pair of shoes they change into when they arrive at school). Sure enough the shoes were in her backpack when we got home, so we told her to leave them there today. We'll see if she does. I kind of think she doesn't fully understand that she will be going back there every single day.
-She didn't learn any Chinese on the first day.
-Jade wasn't allowed to share her snack. She's really into putting cereal into a bowl and saving it as a "surprise" for a friend coming over. As I was getting her snack bag ready, she insisted on putting some cheerios in there to share with the other kids. No big deal, so I let her. When I asked her if she shared them, she said the teachers told her she couldn't. As it turns out the handbook states no sharing of snacks due to possible allergies. Makes sense.
-They didn't get to play on the playground the first day (it was a short day so I'm sure that's why).
-The classroom has a "Jadyn sink" (meaning child-size) where she can wash her hands.
I can't think of anything else she told me right now, but she was pretty excited she got to go back again today!

5 comments:

Kay said...

I am glad that she had a good time. She is looking so gown up! I know it is hard to send them to school, but you might just love it when you and baby boy get to take a nap while she is there!

Shannon said...

Her uniform made me laugh so hard. It really isn't that bad, it's just very genderly ambiguous. She still looks adorable in it. That was a lot of information to get out of her! I'm sure as time goes on she'll get more and more used to the fact that you'll want to know things, so she'll get even better about sharing information. I'm sorry you had a hard time - I would have too. But I'm so glad she liked it! Thanks for sharing. Tell Cody his hair looks strange and nerdy in those pictures. ;)

Jim and Kensley said...

Bahaha the last part of Shannon's comment made me laugh out loud! Haha t was great. Anyway, She is so cute i can't handle it. I love how grown up she is! and I would have cried too if I had to leave my indoor shoes at school. What if someone liked mine better then theirs? She should watch out, someone might take them! We need another skype date!

Jim and Kensley said...

ps, are her feet really that big? they look HUGE!

Tawnya said...

Oh how fun! Spencer starts school too! I will feel so sad too. But excited.