Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Home for the Holidays

We spent Christmas in our very own home with just the three of us this year. Our first time ever not being at our parents'! And I have to admit, I LOVED every minute of it. Even the hours and hours and hours I spent in the kitchen baking and doing dishes (no dishwasher but me)! There was just something different about being home with our own little family. Lately I can't get enough of being with just the three of us. Let me set things straight right here though: when I say it was amazing, and when I say I want to do it the same way again next year, that in no way implies we do not love love love our family and ache to be with them nor does it imply we do not miss them tremendously. To me the emotions are independent from each other. I want no hurt feelings here. None. Besides we'll be visiting again in a few months or so I'm sure. Okay, moving on.

Having a slower paced month with fewer celebrations and events allowed us to focus more on Christ. Something I truly enjoyed. I feel like I finally have a sense of what the Christmas season is supposed to be about. Sharing that as a family, and especially with Jadyn, was such a joyous--in every sense of the word--thing for me (I felt so happy, excited, and even giddy all month). First and foremost she knows Christmas is Jesus' birthday and Santa was only a side note. Now if we can only keep it that way in the future!!

Christmas Eve was so fun as we spent the entire day home together as a family. We baked goodies and watched Christmas movies.

Jadyn LOVED everything about Muddy Buddies.

Her experience with play dough came in handy when we rolled out the sugar cookies.

She did a little better frosting the cookies this time, though I think a good amount still ended up in her mouth.

Before bed we had another Family Home Evening about Christ's birth and the symbols of Christmas and watched The Nativity.

I think I was more excited than anybody for Christmas morning. I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep! Spoiling my two loves was just too much fun!!

After Santa came, but before Jadyn:
Jadyn's entrance:

We recorded the entire morning on our video camera, but forgot to take pictures, so we don't have very many. Christmas was so enjoyable as we let Jadyn take her time to pick presents and open them at her leisure. It seems a play break was taken for each new toy. Opening presents took two fun hours. We were enjoying it so much, by the end there were almost only presents for Cody and me left. We had to hurry and open them so we could let Jade open her final big one.

After Santa, after Jadyn:
Christmas day was spent at home playing with toys, enjoying yummy food (if I do say so myself hahaha), napping, watching movies... you know, the usual Christmas activities. Pretty sure Jadyn downed most of her stocking candy in about an hour.

The best shot we could get of our family at Christmas dinner.

A big highlight of Christmas was skyping with our families. In a small way it felt like we were actually together. Please know we love and miss you sooooo so much, and thought think of you often. We are so grateful for the strength and support you give us while we are living so far away. It helps make the hard times easier and the good times better. We love you!

7 comments:

Jen Reil said...

I feel the same way as you. I love love love all of our extended families, but I love love love spending Christmas day with just our own little family. I'm glad you guys had a great day, and the "tinker bells" is just the cutest!

Paul said...

No offense taken! And what's this about you being the only dishwasher???? Cody, my boy. It's time to step your game up. Thanks for the video, we loved seeing Jadyn in action. It just gets better every year.
Love and miss you guy also.

Ann said...

So fun. I Love how patient Jadyn was and so willing to share your m&m's with you. Glad you had a wonderful Christmas, but just know it was our quietest Christmas ever! We missed you all not being here this year.

The Hedquists said...

Merry Christmas to you! So glad you had a nice time establishing your own family traditions and enjoying the quiet and joy of the season :)

audge8 said...

We did the same thing this year...just stayed home in our pj's all day...and loved it! Glad you guys had a great day! We miss you guys and love you!

The Reimers Family said...

I know what you mean. We weren't able to go home this year either. It's the first time that our family hasn't been together for Christmas Eve, but thank heavens for skype! I got to see the whole program. It was actually pretty nice to be home together working on our own traditions and memories. My mom always worked her tail off to make Christmas magic for us girls and now I want to return the favor to my kids. I'm glad you had such a nice Christmas. Jadyn is an absolute doll! Miss you and love you!

Lydia said...

I agree with you. I also love seeing the extended families on this side of the world for Christmas but it'd nice to just have each other for the holiday. We do as a tradition to have our own Christmas turkey dinner on 24th. Boy, I hope it'll pay off later with this tradition because its A LOT of work and the kids only want a bun for dinner. ^^