Wednesday, June 2, 2010

School's Out For Summer

Friday marked the last day of seminary for this school year. (Yay!) That means I get my husband back... okay maybe just for a few more hours here and there, but I'll take what I can get. I know I am so selfish and horrible and I do feel guilty that I did not endure this trial well... so I guess it is time for me to ask forgiveness and enjoy the summer break! :) Then maybe I will try to not complain as much when school starts again in the fall. Let's be honest, we were kind of hoping Cody would be released because it's likely we will be moving back to Hong Kong towards the end of the year. They said they'd just keep him until we go though. I guess it really does give me a chance to truly repent and have a good attitude about the hours and hours and hours of preparation it takes (not to mention the sleep deprivation and fatigue it causes)... oh, did I say was going to stop complaining? When should that start? I will try. In the mean time we will attempt to get lots of play time in this summer!

To complete the school year, seminary graduation was Friday night. Cody had to plan and organize the event. He had five students this year, two of which were seniors graduating (the two tallest BOYS in the pic--not to be confused with the handsome MAN on the far left). I thought Cody did a fantastic job with the ceremony (with guidance from above, I'm sure). The theme for the evening was "the decade of decision." He asked our Bishop, Temple President, and Mission President to speak on receiving the Melchizedek Priesthood, going to the temple, and serving a mission, respectively (that's them in the pic below). Then Cody spoke about getting an education and selecting an occupation, covering all the major decisions Robert D. Hales mentions in his talk. What an incredible opportunity for the two young men graduating to hear from such people of authority and distinction in one night and in such an intimate setting! The graduation was held in the Bishop's living room with about 18 in attendance (just a little different than a Utah graduation huh!?). I thought it was such a wonderful and appropriate way to send these young men off into the big, bad world.

5 comments:

simmons said...

I was looking at this picture and I kept thinking, why don’t those girls have any shoes on..... then I noticed no one has shoes on duh!!! (You live in Taiwan!) It sounds like an amazing evening.

So is it officially Hong Kong????

Shannon said...

Cute post. I'm glad Cody finally has a little break (and you too!). This will be so nice for your little family. So....skype tomorrow morning? (your Saturday night). Wait, I bet you actually have plans. Nevermind. But if you don't, I'll be here.

Tiffany said...

You are the coolest Nicole. It must be so hard to live in a different country and have Cody gone for so much of the time. Cody is the coolest (he is my husband's twin after all), so I can see why you are so glad to have him around now that school is out. Woo hoo!! It's so cool that he got the bishop, Mission President and Temple President to come to and speak. What an awesome meeting! I'll talk to you soon by the way. I need to tell you about our new home!! :)

D.Suth. said...

Boy can I feel your pain. I think I may have told you that I had to teach seminary for a year. It is the dread of my life! I remember feeling discouraged abt the 3 callings I already had, and then Eric said, "I know a calling that you would never want" and I stopped dead in my thoughts and knew. I think it was the next Sunday that I got called as the sem teacher. Eric is such a great guy and came with me every day!

How early does it start there?

Our hometeacher here, who is our age, was called last yr to teach it and just found out he will be doing it again next year. He isn't too excited abt it, but trying to have a good attitude as well.

It is a ROUGH calling, I know its hard not to complain, it effects your whole life. Way to try to have a good attitude. Hope you move soon!? :)

Great ideas for graduation.

Unknown said...

Nicole,
I know how tough seminary can be--not only on the teacher, but the teacher's family! But I am thankful for the hours cody puts into teaching! And all the students and parents are too! Someday Jadyn will be a teen, and you will be soo grateful to her seminary and yw and ss teachers!!