Wednesday, October 21, 2009

They Say You Never Forget


We are on a long-term bike loan from a friend who recently moved back to Canada. I guess they won't be using them for awhile. A few weeks ago we picked them up from her apartment and took them to get fixed. Below are a couple bikes that were sitting outside the bike shop. Can you tell what they are? The one on the left has a teeny little wicker seat for a chair and the one on the right has a wooden cart built on to the back of it (and some other concoction to the left of it). The best part? People in Taiwan really do ride on creations like these. They really do. [I've realized something the last few weeks. I don't take any pictures of the "unusual and crazy" things I see any more. It has all just become part of my life--it is "normal" now. Then I look back and think, "hmmm, I should have taken a picture of that; that isn't really that ordinary." Anyway, I digress.]


Last Saturday we took the bikes for a leisurely spin around our neighborhood. I really wanted to get video of me trying to ride the bike, because let's just say it was a little more than comical. I can't remember the last time I rode a bike; I'm sure it has been seven years or probably more. Confident in the old adage, I gave it a go. I know I gave one old man a scare as he was walking toward me down the side walk and I couldn't get the bike to go in a straight line. I felt a little bit bad when I couldn't suppress my large grin after I passed him. It was just too funny how horrible I was at riding a bike. I'm so pathetic.


We somewhat got the hang of it, but as I was struggling up the hills, thinking "man, my workouts really aren't helping me as much as I thought," we realized the tire had been scraping against the frame, slowing the bike down and making it really difficult to pedal. We'll just pretend that was the reason I was struggling so much... at least until the next bike ride.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

We're hoping to finally buy bikes for our kids next spring. I hope I remember how to ride =). I'm so jealous that you're still wearing warm weather clothes.

The Reimers Family said...

Don't feel bad, Nicole! I went through the exact same thing last summer. A lady in the ward said she had a bike trailer she was willing to give away to anyone who would use it, so me loving free, I went to Wal-mart that day to buy a bike. A couple of my girlfriends had to coach me as I rode up and down the aisles, I was terrible! When I finally got it home and attached to the trailer I had to take a few practice spins without the kids so that I knew I wouldn't kill them. I eventually did remember:) Hang in there, you'll get it!

Lynsee said...

Lol! That is so awesome. You guys look so cute! I have been telling Devin how bad I want a bike and a trailer to pull Bryn so we are looking to buy some! I can't wait!

Vatcher Family said...

lol girlie you are way brave to do that in Taiwan. I did it just a few times to your place and felt like I was going to get hit by a car. But at least it is great exercise! :)

Vatcher Family said...

BTW I miss you two sooooooo much!