Friday, July 3, 2009

Tattoo Artist

This morning I found Jadyn playing with a pen. At first I wanted to take it away, but as I came closer I saw that she also had a pad of paper she was trying to write on. Okay, that is okay then. Weeks ago when she started to want to play with pens and pencils, I decided instead of taking them away, I would teach her what they are for and how to use them. Not to eat/suck on them. Not to poke/stab with them. Therefore when I found her drawing on paper this morning, I was actually quite pleased. I sat down with her and helped her out a little by reminding her how to hold the pen and how to actually get ink on the paper. She came up with a few pretty good drawings:

What do you see? I see a mosquito, pipe wrench, bird flying over an airplane, and a running faucet (turned on its side). What does that say about me in an ink blot test? Probably that I think Jade's a pretty good little artist (just like her Grandpa Lemon and Daddy).
Then Cody had to leave for work. Time for morning prayer. Cody tells her to fold her arms. She won't; she is too busy with her pen. I tell her. She won't. I take the pen away; then she is very resistent to folding her arms. I tell her, "you can have the pen, but you have to fold your arms." I give her the pen (I am a pushover, I know--I really am trying to work on that), and she folds her arms. I say the prayer. I finish and open my eyes. Jadyn had unfolded her arms (of course), taken the lid off the pen (of course), and this is what I see (of course):

She forgot about the paper. What do you see now? I see a mad mommy and a humored daddy. It took me a little bit, but I see the humor in it now (especially in my thoughtlessness).

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Serves you right a bit...these little ones are getting a mind of their own. She is so cute and seems so much like Liv!

Tammy said...

Too cute! I'm such a push over too. Oh' well.

The Reimers Family said...

Just wait until she draws all over the couch, that takes a little longer to laugh about:)