Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A Golden Getaway


Saturday night we booked it up to Thunderbird after the RS Broadcast. They were having the Asia Regional Night. On Thunderbird's website it describes their "signature Regional Nights" as "a student party featuring the food, drink and culture from a particular region of the world representing current student body members." The theme for this Regional Night was "A Golden Getaway." These are the kind of events we don't want to miss. Free food, free entertainment (okay, not totally free since we are paying plenty for tuition), and fun friends. You also have to get there on time (or early) because they tend to run out of food. We arrived right at seven, when it was supposed to start, and there were already about 100 people in line for food. Starving students!

The food was from Japan, China, Taiwan, Thailand, and Korea. Some of it was delicious, some was spicy, some was wierd, and some I didn't dare try. It was dark by the time we started eating, so we couldn't really see what we were putting in our mouths, which I honestly think is a little dangerous.

After dinner hired entertainers and a lot of students presented different cultural performances. Our pictures didn't turn out real well because it was so dark, but I still thought they were fun.



This last one was the Korea Club (I think). I really liked them because they actually have a well rehearsed drum routine. Some of the clubs just get up and do funny routines that you can tell have been practiced much, but these guys were pretty good. You can actually check them out, and some of the other routines, on YouTube. I have posted the Korean drum performance below. Kinda fun. Click here to see it on YouTube and other performances from that night under the "Related" videos on the right.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Okay so I'll have to let you know what I think of the actual drumming because I'm at work so I watched it on mute. It kind of negated the point I think. But I really enjoyed the muted video because that one girl was really rockin' out! It was fun to imagine what the music must have sounded like, and by her enthusiasm, it must have sounded pretty good.

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

Love Regional Nights!!! I heard you guys had a fun girls night out this weekend! Wish I could have been there, we need to hang out soon!

Tiffany said...

You're right, you can't miss the regional nights with the free food and great friends. I'm glad you got some pictures! I need to bring my camera next time. Katelyn really loved the drummers. :)