Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Luckiest Kids

I was super nervous to have three kids.  The adjustment to two was pretty tough for me, but most people say three is the hardest.  Needless to say, I was worried.  My mom came a couple days before my due date, so I knew I would at least survive the first couple weeks.  If I could have my way, she would still be here.IMG_9822

She unintentionally came just in time to see Jade in the primary program.  The leaves were bright and beautiful, so we took pause for a photo op before church. 

IMG_9825 IMG_9844

We kept ourselves busy while waiting for the baby to arrive.  We did a last minute Wal-Mart run, made jam, and hung pictures.  IMG_9865

Then when Tanner finally decided to come, my mom was there to stay with the kids, take Jade to and from school, and do everything else those two require.  It was so comforting to know they were well taken care of; I didn’t worry about them at all.  Having my mom at the hospital was also wonderful.  As I’ve mentioned before, my experience in Hong Kong was lonely, so it was really nice to have family there. IMG_9962

A few days later, my dad showed up to join the craziness fun!IMG_0039

My parents were amazing.  Holding Tanner, cleaning, cooking, playing with the kids, letting me rest and heal, fixing door knobs, hanging curtains, and doing other odd and end jobs I hadn’t been able to get around to!  My goodness, we loved having them stay with us!!

IMG_0045 IMG_0048

IMG_0056 IMG_0060

IMG_0080 IMG_0058

IMG_0158 IMG_0145

IMG_0150 IMG_0122

IMG_0129 IMG_0128

In the days before my parents left, I had a little emotional break down.  I didn’t know how I was going to do anything without them!  All I was doing was feeding the baby and changing diapers, then trying to rest in between, and I was always in pain.  How was I supposed to help the other two children? 

I had a day and a half trial run before more backup arrived.  It gave me a little more confidence, but I was still grateful I wasn’t going to have to face life with three children head on quite yet!  Cody’s parents came to stay for about 10 days.  Thank goodness.  Although, I wish it could have been longer! 

They came in full force, ready to help.  Again, entertaining children, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, and fixing things around the house.  Thank goodness for a grandpa who will fix our heat when it went out and a grandma who will make us Christmas cookies when we need them!

IMG_0236 IMG_0255

IMG_0241 IMG_0202

IMG_0209 IMG_0207

They even made our delicious Thanksgiving dinner!!!  Whenever I’d try to help, they insisted I go rest.  I felt guilty, but grateful.  And dinner was amazingIMG_0216 IMG_0212

After Thanksgiving Paul went shopping with Cody for a TV on Black Friday (because we didn’t have one yet), and they helped put up Christmas stuff!  IMG_0218

The day of their flight, they didn’t stop.  They went grocery shopping one last time and put in a crockpot meal so we’d come home to dinner after Jade’s dance class.  I can’t express how much I appreciate their visit and all their help. IMG_0295

Maybe this goes without saying, but my kids absolutely adore all four of their grandparents.  Seeing how much they love our parents—and how much they are loved back—just about makes my heart burst.  They are the luckiest kids on earth.  And so are Cody and I.  We sure love our parents. 

2 comments:

ej said...

What wonderful, wonderful parents you and Cody have! My goodness! I am so glad they were there to love on Tanner and give you the rest I'm sure you needed. Makes me so happy!

Jim and Kensley said...

This is so so great! So glad they were all able to come and help! But that Ridge, he just gets me! The last picture with all the hats on his head just kill me! Such a cute little baby!! and I'm SO HAPPY things went so much smoother this time!