Our family will be leaving Hong Kong and repatriating in June! Cody is transferring to a new position in Morristown, New Jersey, the headquarters for Schindler North America.
Though this has been a long time coming, I feel like Heavenly Father has been guiding us and it is now time to move back to the States. In moving to Asia we knew we wouldn’t be here forever, but never really knew when we would actually leave. It has been a great adventure for the past five years. I have learned so much about so many things, but what has been most precious has been the closeness I have gained to Heavenly Father. My testimony of the truthfulness of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been strengthened many times over. The time I have spent in our Hong Kong branch I would liken to a training center. The examples of so many faithful, diligent women has shown me how I should—and more importantly—can live my life. I know Heavenly Father wanted me to strengthen myself so I can stand on my own testimony and knowledge wherever I go.
As soon as we moved to Asia, the constant question from family and friends back “home” has been, “when are you moving back?” For the first few years our answer was, “I don’t know… in a few years?” A few months after I had Ridge, I had been praying about if and when we should move back to the States. When I was out in the market buying produce with him in the front pack, I had an overwhelming experience where I felt God’s love for Ridge. The spirit told me that he is Heavenly Father’s child too and He cares about Ridge. It was then that I had the feeling that pursuing a move to the States was the right thing to do.
Last summer when we visited Utah and we had every person once again asking us when we would move back, our answer had changed. Then it was, “We plan to be back in the States by this time next year.” That was without having a single thing actually lined up. I was trying to go on faith in my feelings.
In the fall we started talking to Cody’s boss here and getting in contact with Human Resources in New Jersey (NJ). Cody started talking with NJ monthly to talk possibilities. During these many months, we kept praying and going to the temple. Each time I continued to feel like we were going in the right direction. When nothing was happening, I had to rely on those feelings. Finally, Cody flew to NJ for interviews in March. It was another long month before we heard anything back. Before that we once again started praying and going to the temple, and once again the spirit confirmed to me we were doing the right thing. When Cody finally heard back, it was to have yet another interview via video conference. This time it was with his potential boss’s boss. We didn’t know what to expect.
After drilling Cody with a full-on interview, Cody asked the guy what are the next steps. He told Cody he was really impressed and was going to tell them to give Cody an offer. He said it is very rare to find such a perfect fit; one where the candidate’s background and experience fits so perfectly with the job qualifications and where the candidate’s interests are also in line with the job requirements. I think I may have gotten a little teary when Cody told me this. I immediately asked him, “Do you know why it is such a perfect fit?” “Why?” Cody asked. “Because Heavenly Father is making this happen, that’s why.” Once again I had affirmation from the spirit that the Lord’s hand was guiding our lives. It took about another 10 days to actually receive an offer. That was on April 23rd. By the weekend we had a counteroffer signed and sent off. I’m pleased to say we indeed will be back in the States this summer, just like we had hoped for last summer.
Since then we have moved past the point of excitement and are constantly stressed and overwhelmed. We are packing the last week of May and leaving Hong Kong June 1st. Our first stop will be in Utah, then Cody starts his new position June 17th. They wanted him there quick, yet they took forever to actually get us an offer! We don’t have much time to get everything done and we are for sure feeling the pressure!
5 comments:
Wow, what a change! A new baby and a big move! Congrats Nicole. And thanks for your strong testimony!
You have such a beautiful testimony! I am so excited that you and your family are able to come back to the states. Especially since you'll be having another baby; I still think about your birth story of Ridge...you were so brave. Congrats!!
So exciting! If you come to DC we will have to get together! Best of Luck!
So excited for your family. It is so wonderful to know that Heavenly Father watches over each of us. THanks for sharing.
Wow! That's great news!
Post a Comment