Friday, May 10, 2013

Celebrating Our 5-Year-Old

Jade’s 5th birthday started out with Ridge and me visiting her class for a little celebration at school.  She got to wear a birthday crown all day.  Then during circle time, Jade put the day of the month on the calendar and her teacher presented her special birthday poster to the class. 

DSC04431 DSC05593

IMG_6784 DSC05595

After that, the class sang their special birthday song, “The Earth Goes ‘Round the Sun.”  Jade of course chose her favorite school friend, Luvella, to be the sun.  DSC04436

Meanwhile, Ridge kept himself (and Mom) busy—and the rest of the children entertained—by making a mess of exploring all the class activities.

DSC05608 DSC05607

Then it was cupcake time!  Jade chose vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting, as well as the most girly cupcake wrappers she could spot.IMG_6612

Ridge loved sitting at the table with the big kids; he actually sat still for awhile.  Jade loved having him there to share in her birthday fun at school!  DSC05604

Jade passed out the plates and forks to her classmates. 

DSC05609 DSC05615

DSC05602 DSC05612

Before the kids could have their cupcakes, we continued to test their patience by first taking more pictures, then singing to the birthday girl!  DSC04442

DSC04441 DSC04445

DSC05619 DSC04440

Finally, Jade got to pass out the cupcakes… 

DSC05623 DSC05625

Aaaand time to eat and enjoy!  DSC05627

DSC05628 DSC05630

At home we had Jade’s choice for dinner:  pepperoni pizza.  She was so anxious to open presents, she requested they come before cake and ice cream.  DSC05635

Ridge had fun helping. 

DSC05639 DSC05640

Jade was delighted with the dress up Cody had picked out for her while he was in the States.  Oh how we are excited for regular Target and even Wal-Mart shopping!  IMG_6630

I decided cupcakes for class, with a few leftover for the family, is the perfect way to go.  Then we don’t have an overabundant amount of cake leftover for us to eat!  DSC05651 

Here’s a little birthday interview I conducted with the newly turned 5-year-old. 

In the weeks leading up to Jade’s birthday, I kept going back and forth about whether to throw her a party.  Jade’s been talking about her 5-year-old party ever since her last one.  It is a lot of work though!  We knew Cody’s job offer might be coming through and then a major move would be imminent.  I calculated out the cost and talked to Cody about the planning time a party entails, and we both concluded a trip to Disneyland would be a much better option.  At this point, I can’t even imagine having to throw a party.  We made a wise decision.  I’ve been stressed enough as it is! 

All ready for the big day at Disneyland!

IMG_6663 IMG_6666

On the Disney train.

IMG_6667 IMG_6668

Our last time at Hong Kong Disneyland (at least for awhile…).IMG_6669

We started our day in Toy Story Land until…

IMG_6670 IMG_6673

IMG_6676 IMG_6680

…we met up with some of Jade’s BFFs! 

IMG_6685 IMG_6689

To make the day more special, we invited a couple of our good family friends to join us for the day.  The Hawkins and the Julians both have girls Jade’s age and our seconds are all boys, ages 3, 2, and 1 1/2!  We were so thrilled they could make it.  It made the day that much more fun!

IMG_6723 IMG_6724

IMG_6725

The kids planning out where to go next.IMG_6684

Our crowd of kids waiting in line.

IMG_6691 IMG_6694

Ridge sure loved hanging out with the big boys. 

IMG_6690 IMG_6705

More fun pictures.

IMG_6696 IMG_6698

IMG_6712

IMG_6714 IMG_6715

IMG_6727 IMG_6728

IMG_6730 IMG_6735

IMG_6766 IMG_6770

The girls really, really wanted to go by themselves on the rides.  Whenever the ride allowed it, so did we.  It was the cutest. 

IMG_6732 IMG_6733

As soon as the day started, Nora was asking to go on Space Mountain.  Somehow she convinced Jade to try it as well.  The dads took the girls for a ride while the two pregnant moms and Cassie with her newborn stayed with the boys.  Apparently Jade had her head down the whole time as she got whipped around for a couple minutes.  It was loud, so Cody couldn’t tell but he thought for sure Jade would be crying when they got off.  She wasn’t.  All she said was (very sternly), “I did NOT like that.”IMG_7277

Actually, while all that was going on, I was in the mother’s lounge puking up my lunch.  I’ve felt really good this pregnancy; a little unsettled stomach, food aversion, and fatigue, but nothing major.  I think the week leading up to Disneyland did me in.  We had been up late pretty much every night doing move stuff.  That coupled with an upset stomach to start with, a late lunch, and rides, it put me over the edge.  Once I took care of business, I was feeling much better and made it just in time to meet up with everyone for the parade. 

IMG_6737 IMG_6739

After the parade, we bought everyone a special treat for the birthday girl’s day.  It really was so fun to have our good friends there to celebrate with us. 

IMG_6746 IMG_6748

I really couldn’t get enough of these three girls palling around together.  They are too cute.  Of course, it made the upcoming move a little harder, knowing we’ll be leaving such good friends. 

IMG_6750 IMG_6760

I still wasn’t feeling top notch, so we ended our fun day a little earlier than usual with a ride on It’s A Small World.  IMG_6771

My favorite part of the ride is this little Hong Kong skyline display.  We’re going to miss you, Hong Kong!!IMG_6773

3 comments:

ej said...

Do you know that it's not normal how cute your kids are? Cuz it's not.
Happy Birthday Jadyn!!! I can't believe you are 5 already!
And Nicole, I'm sad to learn that even the happiest place on Earth has nothing on Morning Sickness. Darn it!
And lastly, I may or may not have gotten choked up by the last pic and talk about leaving HK...
But I am excited for you guys, get through these last couple weeks!

Jim and Kensley said...

It blows my mind that she is 5!! And I love that she wants to be a ballet teacher! I fully support that! Time to get that girl enrolled in the best ballet studio around!!

Jim and Kensley said...

Also, your outfit is so so cute, and your hair looks amazing!