Thursday, October 25, 2012

Halloween Dinner Recipes

For those of you like me who enjoy cooking Halloween themed food throughout October—and especially on Halloween—I thought I’d share a couple recipes we ate this week.  I feel like there are a ton of ideas out there for Halloween treats and snacks, but not enough for actual dinners! 

If you like chicken parmesan and you like pizza, you should like this first one.  I kind of rolled the two together to create these yummy things. 

Bones with Marrow (Chicken Parmesan Pockets)

IMG_2934IMG_2932 IMG_2935

  • 1 Tbs. olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 c. chopped onion
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 2 tsp. basil
  • 1 c. cooked chicken, chopped
  • 1 c. mozzarella cheese
  • olive oil
  • garlic powder
  • grated parmesan powder
  • pizza crust dough

Heat olive oil in sauce pan.  Sauté the garlic and onions until translucent.  Add tomatoes and basil, simmer for 15 minutes.  Remove from heat, let cool slightly.  Meanwhile roll out dough.  Add chicken and cheese to tomato mixture.  Roll mixture up in dough, seal edges, and shape.  Place on cookie sheet, sealed side down.  Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic powder and parmesan.  Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

 

This next one is an authentic Chinese noodle dish that my friend, Lenny, showed me how to make.  I wrote down actual measurements and instructions so I could share it.  I thought with a little food coloring, the thick Udon noodles could easily be turned into something slimy and creepy!  Jade and I had fun laughing and pretending that we were eating worms for dinner!  I love this recipe; these noodles are really good!  Don’t be turned off by the oyster sauce; this dish does not taste fishy at all. 

Stir-Fry Worms (Lenny’s Chinese Noodles) by Lenny Alcentara

IMG_2986 IMG_3002 IMG_3008 IMG_3006

  • 16 oz. Udon noodles
  • 3 Tbs. oil, separated
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • red and brown food coloring (optional)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/3 lb. pork lean meat, sliced thin
  • 1 1/2 c. water
  • 1 Tbs. sugar
  • 1/4 c. oyster sauce
  • 1 1/2 Tbs. dark soy sauce
  • 5 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces

Boil noodles in water with 2 Tbs. oil, salt, and food coloring, for 20-25 minutes until no white in the middle (or cook according to package instructions if not buying from a Chinese market). Drain and set aside. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in wok on medium heat, add garlic and stir fry until garlic just begins to brown. Add pork and stir fry until cooked through. Add remainder of ingredients except noodles, bring to a boil. Add noodles, stir to separate noodles. Turn heat down to low and allow to simmer until the noodles have soaked up the sauce, approximately 7-10 minutes. Take off heat and serve immediately. Serve with red chili if desired.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm finally all caught up on your blog. So much cool stuff. Sorry about the haunted house trauma with Jadyn. That's so sad (but kinda funny). I love your fun foods. We've been doing a lot of Halloween themed dinners as well. I put a couple of them on Facebook, if you're interested. I agree, there are so many treats, and very few real meals. Yours are awesome. Those udon noodles are soooooooooo gross!!!!!!!!!! Like sooooooooo way gross! I love it! I might have to make that - I have some in my pantry as we speak. Miss your face. Have a great Halloween, and post lots of pictures!!!!

Jim and Kensley said...

Those noodles look so nasty!... but that doesnt mean I don't want to try them!

grandma L. said...

Sorry, the noodles look like real worms and I couldn't eat them. What are you feeding our grand children???
Luv you all!!