Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Singapore: Seeing the Sites, Eating the Eats

On our final full day in Singapore, we actually got out to see the city!  We took a hop-on-hop-off bus tour to see as many sites in one day as possible.  DSC01327

DSC01352

DSC01257  DSC01259

DSC01270 

The Merlion. We have yet to teach Ridge how to look at the camera.DSC01286

We thought this cute little street looked fun for lunch.  We tried to find a place with indoor seating with air conditioning so Ridge would be able to calm down and eat.  We also wanted to try Singaporean food.  We took the first place meeting those requirements…DSC01293

…and boy did we pay for it!  This is all we ordered:  Satay, Ginger Beef, and Singapore Noodles and it cost around US$60!!!  One thing I will remember about Singapore:  it is expensive!!  The food IS really good, but I don’t know if it’s THAT good!

DSC01294  DSC01298

Does anyone else find the statues in these temples slightly creepy? DSC01306 DSC01311DSC01312  DSC01315

The bus tour was a great way to go.  When we needed to cool off, sit down, and/or feed Ridge, we could just hop back on the bus.

After the tour we were all hot, tired and hungry, so we ended up eating at a little café/coffee shop.  I wanted to eat something authentic still.  Without really knowing what it was, I had heard of laksa being a common food in Singapore and Malaysia and was determined to try it.   Then I read it on the menu:

DSC01358

I almost didn’t go for it, but I talked myself into it.  I was in Singapore after all!  I had to try it.  The soup and noodles were really, really good.  Think noodles in a delicious curry broth.  It’s all the extra stuff that is off-putting.  I like tofu prepared certain ways, but not this squishy way; the eggs were good—just tasted like boiled eggs; the calamari balls had no flavor; and the shrimp was great.  Overall, I quite liked laksa though the dish was a tad too fishy to say it was amazing.DSC01357

The next day we ended our visit to Singapore by attending the warm and welcoming ward there.  After which we quickly (a little too quickly) scarfed down murtabak and mee goreng for lunch.  Some new favorites for sure.  Wish we would have had more time to savor them before we had to run off to catch our flight.   IMG_0667  IMG_0657

IMG_0662  IMG_0664

The airplane ride to Singapore (left):  awake and excited.  The airplane ride home (right): all tuckered out.

IMG_0652 IMG_0669

1 comment:

Kay said...

Looks like you had a great trip. You always were an adventurer when it comes to food. Don't know if I could have done it after reading the description.