Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween Events

We made it to November!! Now we are READY for this baby to come. In the mean time, here are our Halloween festivities.

Saturday our branch had a Fall Festival at our church building. This thing was a big deal, with a ton of people attending (as in 100-200 people). First pizza dinner, followed by carnival games, then trick-or-treating, and ending with refreshments, dancing, and socializing. It was very well planned out and coordinated, and lots of fun!

We went as a 1950s family.

I actually bought Jade's costume a couple years ago at Lacoco in Taiwan for dollars. It fit her this year, so we planned around it. Even if Cody thought our outfits were lame.

I was a 1950s housewife, not a knocked up Greaser like our Relief Society President thought. Plenty of people asked me if I was really pregnant. There's no faking this elegant physique, people!Cody was a James Dean/Greaser type--mostly because it was simple and we didn't have any other 1950s-looking attire. He likes to dress up, so he really thought his costume was lame. Maybe it was, but he was a good sport anyway. Halloween in Hong Kong: crossing over the busy traffic via footbridge.Carnival games: musical chairs with cute Naomi.Rubber band shoot.Fishing Pond.Daddy helping to aim straight.Shanna made her own Ursula costume--it was awesome!! Her Indonesian helper kept calling them testa@#$s instead of tentacles. Yikes! She apparently didn't know what either of those words meant; they had to have a little lesson on the English language.I had actually purchased two '50s girls costumes in Taiwan, because I forgot I had bought the first one. Worked out fine though as one of Jade's BFFs, Maleah, needed a costume and they got to be '50s girls together! They loved it.Nora, Jade, and Maleah riding the elevator to trick-or-treat.Besties: Calvin, Maleah, Nora (I adore her cowgirl costume!), and Jade. The girls had so much fun trick-or-treating together... ...Aaaand dancing and playing together.

At the dessert table: The VP of HK Disneyland is in our branch and he brought this head molded out of white chocolate made by one of the Disneyland chefs. SO COOL. And yes, I HAD to eat some of it, especially after he told me I could!
*************************************************************************************

A couple weeks back, Cody took a poll at work to see who was interested in dressing up, bringing their kids to work, and having games and trick-or-treating. Would you believe hardly anybody was interested??!! We chalked it up to Chinese culture plus an office full of engineers. Instead Cody and his colleague decided to do reverse trick-or-treating where they dressed up on Monday and passed out candy to everyone else. I love his Halloween spirit! And his handsome face.
*************************************************************************************

Halloween night we went to our friends' apartment building for trick-or-treating (incidentally these are the same friends who will be watching Jade when Ridge comes). Trick-or-treating is really hit or miss in Hong Kong; some places do it (mostly areas with a lot of expats), some don't. Our building doesn't, so we were thrilled to join in the fun at the Tai's place.

Jade with adorable Keilani.I love Iron Man. Both Joshua in costume and the movies. Jade was very enthusiastic about actually knocking on doors and yelling "trick or treat!" This was our first time apartment trick-or-treating. I found it to be an interesting experience. Walking from building to building.Cramming into elevators.Walking up and down stairwells.I will say both church classroom trick-or-treating and apartment trick-or-treating are quite efficient. A bucket full of candy in less than an hour!

1 comment:

Kay said...

I love she thought you were a knocked up greaser. That will make me laugh all day. Glad you enjoyed Halloween to its fullest as usual. Good luck with delivery and can't wait to see baby R