Thursday, November 11, 2010

Apartment in Hong Kong

Apartment hunting in Hong Kong was, in one word, discouraging. We knew we would have to take a smaller place, but seeing the reality of it was disheartening.

The population of Hong Kong is greater than 7 million, with a land area of about 425 square miles. To put that into perspective Utah is almost 82,000 square miles with under 2.8 million people. Hong Kong Island, the part of HK where we live, is 30 square miles and has a population of over 1.3 million. West Valley City, Utah has a land area of 35 square miles and 120,000 people. One building (ICC) in Hong Kong can house 30,000.

This is what some of the apartment buildings in Hong Kong look like:

Well, those are a couple nice ones. Here's another:
Understandably, most apartments are small (and extremely expensive) with little to no storage space. A lot of the apartments we looked at literally had no closets. The entire time we kept wondering how people live in such places. They must not own "things." Then we went to an apartment where the tenant hadn't moved out yet. She had stuff stacked from floor to ceiling in every room, some of it on shelves, and some not. I really wish I would have taken pictures, but you can get an idea of what I'm talking about from the pictures below:


The girl's apartment we looked at was bigger and nicer than these, but just as crowded. I guess that is how people live in such small spaces. You can see more pictures here. I think we Americans are spoiled with space; we like to have everything put away--no clutter. We are coming to find out that is hard to do in HK.

After looking at about 20 apartments, we finally settled for one that was still above the company's budget (luckily they agreed to increase it). The apartment we chose has a small amount of storage space, bigger (I didn't say big, I said bigGER) rooms than most of the others, an oven, and is furnished (the furniture in Taiwan belonged to the landlord); in short: more potential to make tight quarters work for our little family. Would you believe out of about 10 apartment buildings only 1 had apartments with ovens and none had dishwashers?!!

We live on the 32nd floor of the building on the right. There are 36 floors in our building.

Now I present to you the beauty within (sense the sarcasm). Three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and much, much smaller than it sounds.

I will say I do love the kitchen. It is actually bigger than any I've had and the stove/oven is better than the one I had in Taiwan.
The living room; don't worry, we had them take the classy blue couch away. And yes that is my "active" two-year old climbing IN the furniture.
Love the view out the living room window.
Mismatched furniture in the DINING AREA(!), but hey, it's storage, so I'm not complaining. I know, I know, the curtains are amazing too.
One of the [small] bedrooms.
The master bedroom and bathroom. Aren't they luxurious?

Our view.
Movers started bringing our stuff Friday afternoon. Then it kept coming, and coming, and coming, and didn't stop until all 144 boxes were in. At about box 60 or 70 all the closets and cupboards in the apartment were full. The movers were supposed unpack each box and put the stuff away, but we had to tell them to leave it and 'stack 'em up' because there was no place to put anything!
I think I caught Cody and a mover at a moment when yet another garment box was brought into the room. Can't you just see it in their expressions, "Where is all this supposed to go?!"
There's a mover in there somewhere, trying to put Jade's bed together. Nice working space, eh?
Believe it or not, we did dejunk before we moved over, anticipating the smaller place. Friday night we worked for awhile, then gave up and slept in the hotel that night. There was no where to put the boxes that were on our beds, because the floor space was already all taken! Case in point:
When we finally decided to tackle the big project again on Saturday, unpacking went something like this: "this goes in the donation pile; this goes in the garbage." Once we saw the apartment was way over full, we were much more ready to be rid of anything we didn't absolutely need. At one point, in his exasperation, I think Cody said, "Just because we live in Asia doesn't mean we have to throw our lives away!"

My brain has felt frazzled all week as I've had so much on my mind, so many things to do. I woke up about 5:40 a.m. Saturday morning and couldn't fall back to sleep. My mind was racing trying to come up with solutions of how to fit and organize all our stuff. I was anxious to get it worked out! Now it is Thursday, and we are still living in the midst of boxes and working on storage solutions. But I'm finally not feeling so overwhelmed by it all. And I think it's going to work.

Although all this will take some time (and **choke** money) to get worked out, I still don't feel like I have much to complain about. I just take a look out our window and think, "Hey, we could be living in one of those places."
Here's a close up.
I can't help but feel that we are sooo blessed and have gratitude that we do indeed have *stuff* and such a nice place to put it in.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had to double click on the picture to realize there clothes are hanging outside. Wow! I don't even have words to describe it. Your place is really nice compared to that and I'm glad that you were able to find a place that has somewhat "reasonable" storage spaces. You'll have to update us on how you were able to get everything to work. I can't even imagine.

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh Nicole! That is insane! I will say, your apartment is really nice! The kitchen and living room are pretty, and big. In fact, I think your kitchen's bigger than mine this time! :) Admittedly the size of the bedrooms is surprising, but I know you'll make it work. I couldn't help but laugh at the pictures of all your boxes and stuff just spilling out into the hallway. But then I cried. It's either too early, or I'm too hormonal, or I care about you too much, or I'm just emotional. I don't know. But I couldn't help but cry during the last half of your post. I cried that Cody even had to have that thought and that you guys have to feel that way. And then I cried because your faith and optimism never cease to amaze me and touch my heart. Really things like this post make me so so so grateful that YOU are my best friend. I am so lucky to have your influence in my life. You are an inspiration. I know if anyone can make this work, you can! And maybe (hopefully) some of those boxes are just full of decorations that may be taking up space now, but will soon be on the walls and up and out of the way! (?) I'm excited to see the end porduct. I wish my nights weren't so busy so we could skype. Just think - Dec. 23rd I'll be back up and running and we can catch up big time! Love you, and good luck with everything!!!!!

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

Wow, I look up to you in so many ways for all you go through! You are one tough lady! I love hearing about what is going on in your lives, so interesting always!

Raylyn said...

You are amazing:)

ej said...

Okay, I now have a severe case of anxiety just from reading what you are up against! Too much stuff?! You guys didn't even have any stuff!!!!!! I'm officially freaking out in your behalf.
Your view is really nice though. And what will an earthquake feel like up there in the clouds?!
I am loving your positive attitude though. I know you'll have it all whipped into shape in no time because that's just how you work.
Now let's focus on the positives for a sec. Almost 2 months ago you were on the beginning of this, moving out, cleaning, stressing. You were not looking forward to the month+ in the hotel. But just think, you are now on the tail end of it, you are moved in and just have to settle in. You did it!!!!!
And- HELLO AMAZING KITCHEN!!!!!!!! You are going to make some beautiful food creations (and messes) in there, I just know it. It's so spacious maybe you and Cody should just move your room in there!!! :)

Tiffany said...

Nicole. Nicole. I don't know what to say. What an amazingly crazy week and experience. I might just have to e-mail you what I was thinking as I read your blog. Your view is a site to be seen. I've only been in a handful of buildings that tall... let alone lived in one. I know one of these days you're going to write a book about your experience. I'll buy it. In the meantime, I know you'll amaze us with your organizing and decorating skills. Take lots of pictures so you can send it to BHG.

Eric and Darcy said...

Wow! First of all, I thought the 2 pictures of the apartment buildings weren't loading correctly and I refreshed the page twice! It wasn't they were blurry, just really big buildings. You are going to make this apartment cute, just like you did in Taiwan. Think of it as your biggest challenge yet! I can't imagine living in such a crowded place. It's so much different there and is so interesting to learn about it through you!

Lydia said...

You are almost there! Just one step at the time and before you know it, you are showing us what amazing work you've done to your new place in HK. I can't wait to see it. I start "floating" since I was 15 and I did try my best to make every place my "home." Honestly I can never have everything I want it but I learn to improvise and get the most out of it. I know you are VERY GOOD at this too. I love your kitchen too. You gonna make more beautiful cakes there (I miss the day you taught me to make a cake ) Miss you!

The Bergeson Family said...

Nicole! You are so adorable! I hope you don't think I am a creeper by reading your blog! I love your posts! - Shay Bergeson

Jim and Kensley said...

Nicole! I thought it was going to be SMALLER the way you described it! Haha and I love the furniture! That's what our house looks like :)But I second what Shannon said! You are AMAZING and you always come out ahead! PLUS if all else fails, and you still can't figure everything out, just know you kept A LOT of people entertained!! Like me!! Haha I love you and I can't wait to see more!

The Reimers Family said...

I'm so glad that I read this post. As you know, we are moving soon and we will be downsizing a bit and I have been freaking out over what I'm going to do with our mounds and mounds of stuff, but after being enlightened by this post I have learned that in comparison, this will be a breeze. We too are so blessed. I hope everything works out and fits. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Kaybi said...

Your upbeat spirit never ceases to amaze me. Good luck!