Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Let's Talk {Modest} Fashion!

I have been on a search for a new dress for well over a year now. Part of the problem (as I mentioned previously) is the lack of appealing styles here in Taiwan. The biggest problem I run into though is the modesty factor. Oftentimes I find a dress or skirt I really like, but it is too short or too low cut or has no sleeves. Is this not SOOOOOOO aggravating to anyone else??????

It is appalling how revealing styles have become--even for babies and young girls!! My mother was diligent in teaching my siblings and I to dress modestly--for which I am very grateful. We would not even consider wearing a mini skirt, let alone bikini. Why is that all I find in stores now? Growing up I always had it in my head that I would not let my daughters wear tank tops, short shorts, etc. either. I know some people may disagree with me here, but I feel it is very important--especially in this increasingly wicked and immoral world--to teach our children at a young age what is appropriate. Furthermore, I don't believe high moral standards start at a certain age requirement.

We have been taught in no uncertain terms how we should dress (click on the link for a more in depth explanation):

"When we recognize our bodies as the gifts they are and when we understand the missions they help us fulfill, we protect and honor them by how we act and dress...When we know who we are—children of God—and understand that our outward appearance affects our inward spirituality and ultimately our behavior, we show respect for God, for ourselves, and for those around us by being modest in dress and behavior." -Elder Robert D. Hales

How do you feel about this? What are you doing to live modesty standards and how are you teaching your children to do likewise? I'd really love to hear your thoughts and opinions!

As some of you may know, I started college as a fashion design major. My dream in high school was to start a business selling trendy and modest clothing at affordable prices. Life--and guidance from the spirit--has taken me down a much more fulfilling route, but if that dream actually became plausible, it may be hard for me to turn it down. Not that I think I am a fashion guru, or even that trendy, but it is something I have an interest in.

Recently I was able to revisit that all but forgotten interest. Due to my frustration with immodest options, I resolved to make my own skirt. I had seen a few styles I really liked and figured I could attempt to make a modest version. The below pictures are the inspiration for what resulted.

I found discount fabric at the market (the skirt cost under US$10 to make) and tried to come up with a pattern. I thought I was progressing okay until I had one side left to sew. It was then I realized I had not sewed the skirt pieces together in the right order. I had to unpick the ENTIRE thing!! No joke. I completely started over. Thankfully, I had the help of this tutorial to figure out how to sew it in the correct order. My second try resulted in the following:

There are a couple reasons why I didn't mention I had made the skirt in my post. For one, I was a little self-conscious in posting something I had designed and created for myself since I still have a passion for fashion design left in me. And two, I didn't want to skew anyone's judgment, by A: making people feel sorry for me and my poor sewing skills, resulting in pity votes and B: causing you to immediately think it was a crappy and ugly skirt because of the stigma of being "homemade." I mentioned I would share the story behind the skirt, so there it is. When I said there were some things I don't like about the skirt, that is just it--I made it--so I can see every mistake and everything I would do differently.

I definitely want to say thanks to all you lovely girlfriends who commented and/or voted on my skirt post. Thank you for your honest and sincere opinions; they really meant a lot to me.

I was actually a little surprised (pleased, but surprised) by the attention the post got. It made me realize two things. 1: I have really great friends. Seriously, thank you for coming through when I needed you. AND 2: Girls love fashion and clothes. It is a topic that I would say interests most of us. Not that I didn't know these two things, but it was an obvious reminder.

Jadyn and I are headed to Utah on Thursday. One of the major items on my agenda is SHOPPING! I am in desperate need of some American retail therapy. My question to you: where do you find your modest clothing and swim suits? Are there any styles you are in love with right now that I should know about? :) Thanks, ladies! You're the best!!

6 comments:

Shannon said...

First: once again, you are amazing. I can't believe you made that skirt. Second: once again, you are amazing. Your testimony uplifts me and is constantly an inspiration to me. I am beyond blessed to call you my friend. Third: I too am irritated by the fashion trends now. Just yesterday I spent 3 hours going from store to store trying to find a bathing suit that wasn't a bikini. After my 5th store, I finally found a large selection of THREE one piece swim suits. Really? Three was my selection? What happened to tankinis? What happened to having just as much modest apparel as not? I went home frustrated as the swim suit I finally bought was, yes, a one piece, but had a plunging neckline down to my sternum. This was in Utah. I am still disgusted over this. As far as modest dress, I have a few favorites here - namely maurice's (not all modest, but you can always find something) Kohl's (same) and Dillards actually. But my favorite for modest dresses is a website called shabby apple. They have the best garment ready dresses out there. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it.

Eric and Darcy said...

You did an excellent job on that skirt! Let me tell you how the waistband looks good (I know these can be tricky!)!
Funny how you bring up the swimsuit topic. I've been having the same predicament. I found a one piece at Target I really liked. It had a bandeau top with shirring at the waist. I ended up getting a tankini at Costco because they were super cheap.

I have noticed that mini skirts are in style. Who really wears these? And where? I mainly where skirts just to church and would never be caught dead wearing something like that. Could you imagine the looks? I don't know...maybe club going people where those.
Hmmm...well, good job on the skirt, Nicole. I think it turned out great!!!! My $10 is in the mail so you can make mine! :)

Jen Reil said...

You really are amazing! I'm thinking I need to take up a sewing class again, since it's been 20 years since I've sewn anything, and I may just need to start making our own clothes. Seriously, it is harder and harder to find modest things for my daughter. I hardly shop for myself since I'm not happy with my current size- lol!

Tiffany said...

I'm ready for another shopping trip Nicole! I don't shop a ton, but I know a few good spots. I'm so so so excited to see you. Katelyn just looked at your blog with me and said, Jadyn! She's excited to see her too. And yes, I agree with everyone else... you are amazing. See you soon!

Lydia said...

I know you have heard many times from me but Nicole-YOU are so amazing and creative!!! I was wondering how you can find that skirt in that style in that length.
I cannot agree more about dress modestly. As you know that I'm a newly convert and I know I cannot dress like how the "society" dress anymore. James and I have finally set our sealing date this month and I have been looking forever for a white dress and it comes no surprise that I cannot find anything that is modest. I really hope one day you'd start a business making clothes that I have a place to shop.
As for swimming suit, I know you'll find it really hard in the states. Actually, they'll be more modest in Taiwan. Leone actually bought like 3 sets before leaving, it was at Takashi department store, the shop was in the corner, sorry I forgot the name. They were really nice too. I also bought one if you can recall, the one I wore when we went water park for Mason's birthday.

Enjoy your trip back home!

Alison Hixson said...

Hey Nicole, I found a really great website for modest swimming suits, if you are still looking for one. It is www.diviinemodestee.com I think they even have a store in Pleasant Grove if you wanted to try things on! Good luck with all your shopping endeavors!!

p.s. let me know if you find anything there that you like! ;)