Monday, March 9, 2009

Miracle of Miracles

On Saturday night we had the pleasure of hanging out with Cody's sister, Bell.


She was part of "the fam" while he was studying at Thunderbird. She is the recruiter for T-Bird now and was stopping through Taipei to find some prospective students. We took her to the National Palace Museum and ShihLin Night Market. It was so much fun and so great to see her!

Unfortunately, the rest of the night didn't go so well. We took the bus home and when we got back to our apartment I realized my wallet was missing! The contents included my EASY pass (bus/subway card), credit card, ATM card, ARC card (Taiwan resident card), grocery store discount card, home address, Cody's business card, some money, and apartment keys. Some of that--not such a big deal, some--quite a big deal. Especially since I'm leaving for Utah on Thursday night!!! I need my credit card as ID to get my boarding pass at the ticket counter or they make you buy a new one, and I need my ARC card to get in the country (they said I could leave, but couldn't get back in). Saturday night we searched our coats, bags, and entire apartment several times with no luck. Then I ran down and scoured the street and sidewalk from the bus stop. When we got off the bus, we ran across our four lane street to beat the light, so we think it must have fallen out of my coat pocket as we were running.

After we realized we really did lose it, we got on the phone with the bus station, immigration office, and banks. It was a late night. We decided we would block our credit cards and wait a couple days before cancelling them. Then we said a few prayers that night and the next day. I specifically remember saying to Heavenly Father, "Heavenly Father, I know you know where my wallet is. And I know you can help somebody find it. Will you please let an honest person find it and return it to me and let everything work out for us to still be able to go home on Thursday?" Sunday we didn't hear any news about the wallet. Then Cody realized, "you had our address and the keys in there?" "Yes. Yes, I did." (I keep my address in there in Chinese and English at all times so I can always get myself home by taxi.) We can lock our door from the inside, so the keys still won't open the door, so he said, "well, at least we know they can't get in while we're home." I told him, "Yah, whatever, we want them to come while we are home so we can pop them in the face and tell them to give us our wallet back. We can take some little Taiwanese punk." (No offense to you Taiwanese friends of mine.)

Monday morning rolled around and I received an e-mail from Cody. Subject line: "Wallet is found!" What??!! Yes!!!! Turns out a lady's maid in the apartment building right next to us found it! She was out walking the dog and found it in a trash can. Everything was in there except the cash. Whoever originally picked it up must have grabbed all the cash and then threw it away. What a MIRACLE!!! Oh, my goodness, I was so happy and relieved I just wanted to cry! Apparenty Mrs. Yo had tried calling Cody's office on Sunday, but of course it was closed. So she called him first thing Monday morning and they both tried to call me, but I didn't hear my phone. I called her immediately and ran down with Jade in arms to meet her and be reunited with my dear wallet. She was the nicest lady EVER. Cody tried to offer her a reward but she told him, "if you want to give a reward, give it to charity." She told me (yes, she spoke good English) she had a son studying in the states and she hopes her children would have people in their lives that would do the same for them. I told her she was so wonderul and I just wanted to give her a hug. So I did. Then she told us her maid was a good cook and that we should come over for dinner sometime. She also invited me to call her anytime I need help while living in Taiwan. What a good person!!!!

When I got home, I just sat down and cried. I was so grateful to Heavenly Father. I know that this was a direct answer to prayer. Who actually looks in trash cans? And who would actually take something out??? I know Heavenly Father sent this lady to find my wallet and return it. I know He is watching out for us in this foreign place and is constantly taking care of us and blessing us in ways we do not even know. I love Him! I have a testimony of Him and of prayer and of His true church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I am so, so grateful for His constant care and guidance.

5 comments:

Melissa L. said...

What an amazing story. Perhaps the Lord meant for you to meet this lady? A rather stressful way to get there, but effective in the end... :) I'm so glad it turned out well!

Katie said...

What a wonderful experience! We have had something like that happen to us a few times here. Sam is a pro at losing things, and twice has his phone been returned, and three times has his wallet been returned. Blessings from on high, no doubt.

Tiffany said...

What a miracle Nicole!! Wow, I can't even tell you how glad I am that you have your wallet with everything in it! What a blessing! Heavenly Father truly does watch out for us!

Shannon said...

You can't write posts like that without a disclaimer. You know, like - WARNING: WILL MAKE PREGNANT PEOPLE CRY. That was not very nice of you. Seriously,that made me openly weep. What a tremendous story. I've always admired you and your testimony. It's something that has always drawn me to you and makes me love you so much. Thank you for sharing it so openly with all of us, and reminding us all that Heavenly Father truly is there and knows our needs. Love love love you!!!!!! Oh, and is your 24th open???? Please say yes!!!!!!

Brent and Emily said...

Oh my goodness. That is AMAZING!!! What a great blessing that you got it back. A similar thing just happened to me when the diamond fell out of my ring. I freaked, then said a prayer, had an image pop into my mind, and instantly found it. Prayer works!!!