
C'mon everyone, sing along:
"Big city... big city nights... you keep me burnin'... big city... big city nights...always yearnin' " Oh, can't you just hear the Scorpions in your head right now. Well anyway, I decided to name this post Big City Nights because last night, I landed in one of the biggest cities in the world: HONG KONG!
Thats right, Hong Kong. Well, I guess it's finally time to update everyone on what happened over the last few months to lead me here. Well... now that I think about it... it's a long story, so I'll make it short. After graduating from Thunderbird, I spent a few weeks trying to hash out an employment agreement with Schindler Elevators in Asia. After many excruciating weeks, they finally gave me an offer I could accept. That is the reason for our departure from PHX (see post below). I am currently in Hong Kong where I will start training on Monday, June 30th. I have been accepted into their Career Development Program, which is basically an international management rotational program. After 3-4 months in Hong Kong, we are off to Taiwan where I will assume the role of National Marketing Manager/Sales Coordinator. A lot of people ask me what that means, I tell them I get to manage my desk space and run copies for the sales people.... To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what is in store, but I'm excited nonetheless. I am here alone for a few weeks, then on July 11th, Nicole and Jadyn come over to join me. They will be accompanied by my awesome parents, who are BOTH just dying to see Hong Kong (right mom?). Schindler put us up in a serviced hotel, which is basically like a Marriott Residence Inn, only Asian. The kitchen is smaller, no oven, the stove is basically two stationary hot-plates, and it has one of those teeny Asian fridges. AAAHHH, I feel right at home.
Now a little update on what has happened in the last little while since arriving. I got into HK about 7:00 p.m. last night, which is like 5 a.m. in the morning in Utah (4 a.m. PHX time). I had my laptop bag chuck full off books, folders, papers... it was so full I couldn't really close it. Then I had my DaKine HeliPro backpack stuffed full of books to the point I had to loosen every strap just to close it. Then I had my two 50+ pound pieces of luggage. Well, I took the train into Central on Hong Kong Island without incidence, but then I decided to save a few bucks by taking the subway instead of a taxi to our hotel. Well, I figured that since it was about 8:00 p.m. rush hour would be over and the subway wouldn't be that crowded. WRONG, BATMAN! I forgot this is still Hong Kong, everyone works late and there are millions of people crammed into this tiny area, so needless to say, a big white dude with over 150 lbs of luggage kinda stood out on a VERY crowded subway. Not only that, but schlepping that luggage around was a pain in rear. I forgot that even though the Central Subway station is connected to the train station, it's still a long hike to get between the two. Then the Subway is not necessarily luggage friendly, just getting through the turn stalls was a nightmare, not to mention finding a place to stand on the train with all that luggage. (Does this bring back memories of the Winterim anyone? hehehe) Well, I made it to my stop alright, and only had to push a few people/grandma's out of my way to get off the subway.
"Big city... big city nights... you keep me burnin'... big city... big city nights...always yearnin' " Oh, can't you just hear the Scorpions in your head right now. Well anyway, I decided to name this post Big City Nights because last night, I landed in one of the biggest cities in the world: HONG KONG!
Thats right, Hong Kong. Well, I guess it's finally time to update everyone on what happened over the last few months to lead me here. Well... now that I think about it... it's a long story, so I'll make it short. After graduating from Thunderbird, I spent a few weeks trying to hash out an employment agreement with Schindler Elevators in Asia. After many excruciating weeks, they finally gave me an offer I could accept. That is the reason for our departure from PHX (see post below). I am currently in Hong Kong where I will start training on Monday, June 30th. I have been accepted into their Career Development Program, which is basically an international management rotational program. After 3-4 months in Hong Kong, we are off to Taiwan where I will assume the role of National Marketing Manager/Sales Coordinator. A lot of people ask me what that means, I tell them I get to manage my desk space and run copies for the sales people.... To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what is in store, but I'm excited nonetheless. I am here alone for a few weeks, then on July 11th, Nicole and Jadyn come over to join me. They will be accompanied by my awesome parents, who are BOTH just dying to see Hong Kong (right mom?). Schindler put us up in a serviced hotel, which is basically like a Marriott Residence Inn, only Asian. The kitchen is smaller, no oven, the stove is basically two stationary hot-plates, and it has one of those teeny Asian fridges. AAAHHH, I feel right at home.
Now a little update on what has happened in the last little while since arriving. I got into HK about 7:00 p.m. last night, which is like 5 a.m. in the morning in Utah (4 a.m. PHX time). I had my laptop bag chuck full off books, folders, papers... it was so full I couldn't really close it. Then I had my DaKine HeliPro backpack stuffed full of books to the point I had to loosen every strap just to close it. Then I had my two 50+ pound pieces of luggage. Well, I took the train into Central on Hong Kong Island without incidence, but then I decided to save a few bucks by taking the subway instead of a taxi to our hotel. Well, I figured that since it was about 8:00 p.m. rush hour would be over and the subway wouldn't be that crowded. WRONG, BATMAN! I forgot this is still Hong Kong, everyone works late and there are millions of people crammed into this tiny area, so needless to say, a big white dude with over 150 lbs of luggage kinda stood out on a VERY crowded subway. Not only that, but schlepping that luggage around was a pain in rear. I forgot that even though the Central Subway station is connected to the train station, it's still a long hike to get between the two. Then the Subway is not necessarily luggage friendly, just getting through the turn stalls was a nightmare, not to mention finding a place to stand on the train with all that luggage. (Does this bring back memories of the Winterim anyone? hehehe) Well, I made it to my stop alright, and only had to push a few people/grandma's out of my way to get off the subway.
(Here are a few Pic's to show you how crowded this place is. Don't you feel claustraphobic just looking at them?)
(Now, some of you astute, faithful Rowland blog readers will notice you've seen these pic's before. Yes, I'm re-using old pics that I posted from my T-bird trip in January. I know, I know, blogging faux pas, but I figure these pics would get my point across.)
Now for this morning: so, about midnight last night, as I'm finally getting ready for bed, I noticed it had started to rain. No big surprise, this is a tropical climate and all. When I woke up at 5 a.m. (thank you jet lag) I noticed it was still raining. Well, I turn on the TV and start watching the Cantonese news. Now, since I don't speak Cantonese, I had to read the Chinese subtitles at the bottom of the screen. It seems that we are currently getting hit with a level 8 storm. A level 10 would be a direct hit, strong hurricane; whereas a level 8 is a direct hit, very strong tropical storm/very weak hurricane. It looks like they've closed the schools, the buses, the trams, and the airport is a mess. Man I'm glad I landed yesterday and not today. I took some pictures so you could see what I see. These two pictures are from right outside my window at 7:30 a.m. In the first two, you should be able to see across the harbor to the Kowloon side, but since the rain is so thick, you can barely see a container ship sitting just off the shore in the harbor. Pretty crazy.



Now for this morning: so, about midnight last night, as I'm finally getting ready for bed, I noticed it had started to rain. No big surprise, this is a tropical climate and all. When I woke up at 5 a.m. (thank you jet lag) I noticed it was still raining. Well, I turn on the TV and start watching the Cantonese news. Now, since I don't speak Cantonese, I had to read the Chinese subtitles at the bottom of the screen. It seems that we are currently getting hit with a level 8 storm. A level 10 would be a direct hit, strong hurricane; whereas a level 8 is a direct hit, very strong tropical storm/very weak hurricane. It looks like they've closed the schools, the buses, the trams, and the airport is a mess. Man I'm glad I landed yesterday and not today. I took some pictures so you could see what I see. These two pictures are from right outside my window at 7:30 a.m. In the first two, you should be able to see across the harbor to the Kowloon side, but since the rain is so thick, you can barely see a container ship sitting just off the shore in the harbor. Pretty crazy.



Anyway, this post is long enough so I'll let everyone go. I'll post here regularly to keep y'all updated on how life is here in this neck of the woods.
Cody
4 comments:
We are so glad you made it to Hong Kong! Sounds like you had quite a workout carrying all that luggage and heavy books. Your exercise for the day!!!! Good luck! Hope you have a great week! We'll take good care of your girls! We love ya! Mom Lemon
Mason and I were just talking about your family this morning and wondering what your plans were now that you graduated, I guess this answered my question, but It was not at all what I expected! Congrats on your new job and for this fun new adventure you, Nicole, and Jadyn will be experiencing. We are so happy for you!
Man, Eric and I are jealous. You guys will have a blast! Good luck on your adventure. Keep us posted.
Congratulations cody! I've known Nicole since we were little in case your were wondering who I was...anyways....Nicole, good luck with everything and your great mom already, you have an awesome mom! I guess if I start missing you guys, I'll just stop over your parents home and stare at your photo....hehehehe totally kidding, wouldn't do that...talk about creepy! Good luck and best of wishes!! Send me your darn email to I can send an invite, since my husband thinks wierdo's might be reading my blog....nobody reads it...don't know what he's talking about....hehehehe!
Post a Comment