Thursday, May 7, 2015

Ford’s Theatre and Beyond

On Thursday morning of spring break, we started out early to attend Ford’s Theatre.  This was the one thing during our D.C. trip that actually cost money.  D.C. is totally awesome like that!  IMG_1403

We had to buy tickets in advance.  They were for a specific time and included a Ranger Talk in the theatre, as well as entrance to the museum across the street. 

IMG_1389 IMG_1391

As soon as we sat down, Tanner started screaming and Ridge started getting restless.  I quickly indulged Tanner with fruit snacks and Ridge with my phone.  The Ranger Talk was not something I wanted to miss!IMG_1393

The boys quieted down pretty quickly and made it through the presentation.  I found it fascinating to hear more details about the night Abraham Lincoln was assassinated.  So did Jade.  She tells us this was her favorite part of the trip!  I think it was my second favorite—right after Arlington Cemetery. IMG_1400

The museum was just as fascinating.  Jade and I really enjoyed it.  Even if the boys weren’t cooperating the best and all I got were a couple blurry pictures.  Cody was so wonderful to entertain them so we could enjoy looking at the displays.  Below left is the room where Lincoln died.

IMG_1404 IMG_1405

That afternoon we said our goodbyes to the Banks family and headed to my sister's house about an hour or so away.  We couldn’t visit D.C. and not see Kristen and her fun family!!  The kids had a great time playing with their cousins that night.  Then we headed out to another museum on Friday morning while the cousins were at school. 

This time we went to the Smithsonian National Museum of American HistoryIMG_1409

Although Cody really enjoyed the war section, the museum wasn’t quite as entertaining for the kids.  I think Jade still liked it though, just not as much as the others. 

IMG_1418 IMG_1422

IMG_1427

The highlight of the entire place was definitely seeing The Star Spangled Banner, of which they would not let us take pictures!!  Another cool tidbit was a drawing of the first submarine.  I don’t know why, but I thought it was so interesting!  Jade also enjoyed being the President for a moment. 

IMG_1424 IMG_1430

We also got to see Dorothy’s ruby slippers, but were more surprised to see a sunstone from the Nauvoo temple!  The sunstone was accompanied by a snippet about how the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints founded Nauvoo, Illinois but were driven out by anti-Mormonism.

IMG_1434 IMG_1431 

After Tanner had a nap in the stroller, we let him out and put Ridge in for a rest.  I hadn’t even thought to bring a stroller for Ridge, because he never rides in one anymore!  It worked out though, because he simply took a nap in there when Tanner was done.  Ridge was happy to walk the rest of the time and Tanner was happy to get out and have some exercise when it was Ridge’s turn to sleep! 

IMG_1439 IMG_1437

After the American History Museum, we headed through the National Mall to see the Smithsonian Castle.IMG_1446

Tanner was so cute walking around as he had to carry his lovey the entire time!IMG_1441

A nice passerby offered to take a picture for us.  I wasn’t paying too close attention, so I was surprised when I got the camera back and the picture was crooked!  IMG_1451

Not to worry, she also took a straight shot.  I will say, I kinda like the crooked one better though!  Ridge was still sleeping in the stroller, so he missed the photo-op.  IMG_1453

Right across from the castle, in the center of The Mall, was a carousel.  Of course, the kids had to take a ride!  Jade made sure to tell us not to tell Ridge.  She didn’t want him to feel bad that he missed the most fun part of the day!

IMG_1459 IMG_1456

It doesn’t get much cuter than kids on a carousel!

IMG_1463 IMG_1470

We enjoyed our last stroll through beautiful D.C. on our way back to the car.  We really lucked out with the weather during our trip.  It was overcast all week, but never really rained on us!  It was great!! 

IMG_1474 IMG_1479

We got to spend one last night and Saturday morning hanging with the Staley clan.  It sure is fun having family so close.  We are so grateful to the Staleys and Banks for hosting us! These silly cousins have so much fun together!!IMG_1493

The boys were definitely tuckered out for the drive home to New Jersey!  It took a mere few minutes before they were fast asleep. IMG_1497

No comments: