Thursday, April 2, 2015

Birthday Weekend

IMG_0570

For my birthday this year, I really wanted to go do something fun and different as a family.  Then I found out the circus was in town for the weekend!  Maybe I’m still a kid at heart, but I really wanted to go!  Luckily, I found some great discount tickets.  I packed some sack-lunch dinners for the car ride and we headed off to pick up Cody on our way to the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey.  IMG_0552

We had a beautiful, snowy drive that night.  Winter seems to just keep on going here!  I really haven’t minded though.  I love the snow!  Isn’t it beautiful?!  IMG_0561

The circus had a pre-show event with various activities/performances, where the kids could meet some of the performers.  Jade was all about taking pictures with everyone she could and even trying on a clown costume, but Ridge wanted nothing to do with it. 

 IMG_0577 IMG_0575 IMG_0579

Tanner was quite content with watching the pre-show with Daddy. 

IMG_0584 IMG_0580

Speaking of Tanner, I took some pictures with him right before we left.  Don’t you think he looks a lot like me?!  I think I finally have a kid that looks like me and I’m loving it!  Cody jokes that it took three kids to use up the potent Rowland genes to get to the Lemon ones.  IMG_0558

It probably goes without saying, but the kids loved the circus!  Cody was skeptical, but he admitted to really enjoying it too.  Even Tanner did well considering it was really loud and definitely past his bedtime.  Yet if he had been screaming, it was so loud in there it wouldn’t have mattered!

My favorite parts were the tight-rope walkers and elephants; Cody’s were the high-adrenaline Nitro Circus type acts, Jade’s was the mermaid acrobats, and I think Ridge liked the bikes and the girl shot from the cannon.  When I told the kids we were going to go to the circus, Ridge explained to me there would be clowns and a person shot from a cannon.  As soon as the cannon was brought out, Ridge exclaimed, “See Mom!  I told you there would be a cannon!”

IMG_0607 IMG_0610

 

For the rest of the weekend, I was spoiled with cards, packages, and phone calls from family and friends.  A good friend even took me to pedicures and the new Cinderella movie.  My birthday couldn’t have come at a better time.  Just prior to it, I had been feeling a bit down and lonely.  I told Cody birthdays sure are good for making a gal feel loved again! 

I thought it was so cute how excited the kids were for me to open presents.  We weren’t sure if they understood there weren’t any toys in those packages!  They hovered over me the entire time. 

IMG_0622 IMG_0629IMG_0634 IMG_0644

Cody surprised me with my dream pillow.  When I came across this pillow months ago, I fell in love!  It was a bit pricey, so I never bought it.  Call me crazy, but I am giddy that Cody got it for me!  I love it so much.

IMG_0645 IMG_0648

I was anxious to get it on my bed to see if it coordinated as well as I imagined.IMG_0737

IMG_0701

Obviously, you can tell by the sheer number of pictures I’ve taken, I’m obsessed with it.  I told Cody it is a great thing that he bought it for me (instead of me buying it for myself), because now every time I walk into our room and see the pillow, I think of how much I love him!  It’s especially good when he is traveling for work (which happens quite frequently). 

IMG_0717 IMG_0728

Cody made sure to get the last bit of snow off the deck so he could pull out the grill for my birthday dinner.  Oh how glorious that was! 

IMG_0652 IMG_0651

We ended the great birthday weekend with a cake made by Cody himself.  How blessed I am to have such a great husband and so many people I love in my life! 

IMG_0667 IMG_0670

IMG_0672

2 comments:

Jim and Kensley said...

Such a fun birthday!! and I can't help but notice that Cody made his favorite cake for your birthday, instead of your favorite cake!! Men... I tell ya what! Just kidding, any cake is good cake, especially if you don't have to make it!

Nicole said...

Haha Kens, that would have been funny! Actually, Cody is not a fan of coconut, but I love love love coconut, so it was all for me! Taking one for the team. ;)