The first stop on Monday morning was Tiananmen Square and Tiananmen Gate. We really lucked out with blue skies but it was still COLD and windy!
Most people recognize the name Tiananmen Square—and possibly building—because of the massacre in 1989. Interestingly, while in China I did a Google search for information about Tiananmen Square.
Only very short, vague comments somewhat positively slanted toward the Chinese government could be found. Doing the search today (from outside of China) brings up all sorts of links about the massacre first and foremost, even before the history of the building itself.
Even the Wikipedia article on it was completely different. The one I can find today from outside China states, “Officially, the Chinese government condemned the protests as a "counterrevolutionary riot", and has prohibited all forms of discussion or remembrance of the events within China.”
Still the site is of great significance to the Chinese, so I was curious how they view the place. It was obviously highly revered instead of notorious for the 1989 event. I am also absolutely fascinated by how most Westerners have a negative view of Chairman Mao, but the Chinese absolutely venerate him!
Apparently Tiananmen Gate (or Tower) is the symbol of modern China and featured on the emblem of the People's Republic of China. It served as the gatehouse of the Ming and Qing Dynasties. Since November 1987, Tiananmen Tower was open to the public and common people can step on the tower and overlook Tiananmen Square just as the state leaders once did.
Tiananmen was the entrance to the Imperial City, within which the Forbidden City was located. As such, the Forbidden City was next up on our itinerary. The Forbidden City was the Chinese imperial palace from the Ming Dynasty to the end of the Qing Dynasty.
It’s my understanding that it is called the Forbidden City because it was forbidden to common people. “No one could enter or leave the palace without the emperor's permission,” according to Wikipedia.
Pretty sure that’s why the place was swarming with Mainland tourists. It is a big deal to them (especially those who lived through the pre-communist era) that they are actually permitted in—something that was absolutely not allowed for their parents!
I really had to muscle my way into the crowds to get pictures of the emperor's throne.
After the Forbidden City, we toured a hutong (basically a traditional Chinese alley) via rickshaw.
One new thing I learned on this tour was the posts sticking out above the door display the stature of the family that lives inside. Two posts like the doorway pictured below signifies a common family. Four posts would be a high ranking family (notice the doorway at the Forbidden Palace above with Cody in it has four posts).
We stopped off at a traditional house with a front door that opens up into a courtyard and three houses on each side.
The guide took us inside and explained the way the family lives and the significance behind the way the buildings are built and used.
After the hutong tour, we went to the Temple of Heaven. This temple is where the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties worshipped the god of heaven and prayed for good harvest.
The green rooftops represent the Earth and the blue represent the Heavens.
My favorite part of the Temple of Heaven was when we walked out, hundreds of the locals were just hanging out playing instruments, poker, majiang, and other games. Even the old ladies were getting in on the gambling!
For dinner, we ate the famous Peking Duck! I thought it was comical the restaurant had cutesy duck figurines at the entrance when we were going to go in and devour said duck.
We’ve had Peking duck a few times, but this was by far the best. Wow, it was good!
To finish off the evening, we viewed an acrobat show. Even though it was past bedtime, Ridge remained in a trance of amazement the entire time.
The flexibility, strength, and pure talent the performers displayed was astounding. I’ve seen Cirque du Soleil, and I’d say I liked this better. Mostly because the acrobat show had fewer stage effects and more raw talent. It was mind-blowing the things they could get their bodies to do!
3 comments:
That is so cool! and can we talk about how cute Jade is giving her little brother a kiss? Tug at my heart strings!!
What a fun day. It reminds me of our trip. I think I have pretty much the exact same pictures. Fun! Glad you were able to see blue sky too!
That would be so cool! It looks like it was quite windy though. :)
Post a Comment