Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Perfect Balance

Would you say it is true that any normal couple does not enjoy every hobby/activity/topic their spouse does? Like I love to decorate and it bores Cody to pieces to hear me gab on and on about the details of my plans and ideas. Like my sister-in-law hates camping and getting dirty yet her husband would prefer to spend his time in the mountains shooting guns. Like my dad can spend hours and hours tinkering around in his man cave--er, I mean, garage--but my mom only goes in there to get in the car or call him in for dinner. OH! And let's not forget shopping! Count yourself a lucky woman if you have a man that thoroughly enjoys those trips to the mall with you!!

Yesterday Cody and I discovered the perfect balance during our visit to Yingge. Yingge is the Taiwan town famous for pottery. I was determined to make it there to buy some rice bowls before we moved to Hong Kong. It's actually not that far from where we live, so thankfully it wasn't too difficult of a task. We just had to take a 15 minute bus ride to the metro, a 15 minute metro ride to the train, and a 30 minute train ride to Yingge. Not too bad at all!

Everything means a little bit more when you're moving away. Instead of hurrying along as usual, we stop to savor the little things.

Like the dingy train stations.


Like the old buildings.

We discovered the perfect activity for the two of us as we were browsing through each store along this super cute street.

I was enjoying myself very much as I was shopping for dishes and vases. I absolutely love getting souvenirs that we will use for years to come! I turned to Cody and asked him the simple question: "are you having fun?" I knew that I was, but I also knew that I was shopping/decorating so I thought for sure he may be a tad bored. His response: "you know I love looking at stuff like this!" Cody loves Chinese art and pretty much anything else Chinese. Score! I found one way to get him to shop with me and actually enjoy it! Oh! And Jadyn got to play with the local kids and their dogs. That's what we call a win-win-win, my friends. Unless, of course, she contracts some sort of disease...
As we purchased our rice bowls, etc., I told him I was so excited, I would be eating my cereal in them instead of waiting for the next time I make a Chinese-ish type meal. In fact, I have lots of plans for our new additions. I love them so much, I even thought they looked cute in the dishwasher...
I decided to go for an eclectic look. Maybe that reflects my mood as of late: a mix of emotions stemming from various sources, creating a very unique temperament.

7 comments:

Eric and Darcy said...

I love them! That IS the best to find something to do with the hubby that both of you enjoy.

You know, I follow the Pioneer Woman's blog (if you don't know about her, you are seriously missing out) and she always uses cool dishes. Sometimes she even blogs about them. It makes serving your food so much fun!

Jim and Kensley said...

Nicole I have to say I truly do love reading your blog! I check back probably every other day to see if you have updated it. I'm so excite for you guys to move back to hong kong because you'll have lots of fun posts!!

The Hedquists said...

Love them Nicole! Yes, Shaun has always enjoyed shopping in the markets too--it makes it more pleasant to throw down the money right in front of him :)

ej said...

I wondered if you guys decided to go, it looks like you made some great finds, and the bowls do look cute in your miniature dishwasher :)

Lydia said...

You are SO CUTE, Nicole!!! I think you got some great buys too. I truly hope our roads will cross again in the future.

Kay said...

nice finds. I am hoping jaydn is still disease free (that sentance made me laugh and worry at the same time)

The Reimers Family said...

It's such a good feeling to be able to enjoy yourself and know your hubby is as well. For Jake and me that is skiing. We haven't been able to go for a couple years so this will be our year. I guarantee that our skis won't look nearly as cute in our dishwasher.