Friday, September 3, 2010

My Tour with Chiu-Yi

This is my friend, Chiu-Yi.
In my mind Chiu-Yi is probably as close to perfect as any person could get (well, probably her and Tiffany , that is). I've loved having her as a good friend while living here in Taiwan. She has taught me so many things, including a little bit of Chinese, what some of the foods are, and Chinese culture. The things I appreciate most about her though are her strong testimony, her diligence in the gospel, her constant service to others, and her warm smile! She is such an incredible example to me.

Last weekend Chiu-Yi spent the day showing Jadyn and I around her town, Danshui, while Cody had to work. We started out doing some shopping along the waterfront.
We toured Fort San Domingo.
This was where Jade was very perceptive with her comment, "Mama, the guy's stuck!"
Jadyn scored a free Pink Panther balloon! The boys making them were adamant about getting their picture with Jade. I love how she is copying the peace sign he is flashing. We took a boat ride from the waterfront to the fisherman's wharf.


Our tour ended as we viewed the last bits of the sunset with our hubbies.

Although the whole day was great (if you don't count the drenching hot & humid weather), I think the best part was when we went back to Chiu-Yi's apartment and she cooked authentic Taiwanese food for us. It was so yummy. So much so it didn't occur to me to take pictures. But I wish I had. One of the coolest parts was I got to watch Chiu-Yi make some of the food. If you know me, you know I have a passion obsession for food, so this was definitely a highlight. She told me a lot of Chinese cooking is written down, just passed down from generation to generation. That is how she learned to cook: standing at the stove watching her mother. Chiu-Yi's dinner was the perfect way to end our fun day.

4 comments:

Tawnya said...

Those pictures are so amazing. Jade is so beautiful and getting so big!

Kay said...

Oh I miss all you girls. What a beautiful day to go to Danshuei!

Tiffany said...

What in the world? I think you were tired last time you were here to make a comment like that. Thank you... but don't hate me if I think you're crazy.

Dave loved looking at your pictures. He said that he was there... but you got better pictures. Good work on your photos Nicole. You'll always love how many you've taken so you can remember the amazing time that you've been in Taiwan.

The Reimers Family said...

That is so cool. I love the picture of Jadyn holding hands with the statue:)