Thursday, November 6, 2014

A Little Obsession

As everyone knows, October is probably my favorite time of year.  I start getting giddy in September just thinking about it.  Looking back over the many, many pictures from the month makes me wonder if maybe I go a little bit overboard.  But is that really even possible?! 

We started celebrating a couple days before October even started and hit it hard all month long.  I just can’t help myself.  During the month I felt like I wasn’t doing enough, but I realized it’s because the community does a lot of the work for me.  A lot of activities I simply have to show up with the kids.  Unlike in Hong Kong where if I wanted Halloween to happen, it was almost completely up to me! 

We started out with skeleton pajamas, putting up decorations and playing in the costume boxes. 
IMG_0442 IMG_0429 IMG_0433

Jade and Ridge really got in the spirit by letting Mr. Skeleton join in their daily activities. 
IMG_0490 IMG_7887

We loved driving by all the decorated houses in the neighborhood.  There were some pretty good ones!
IMG_7890 IMG_7891
IMG_7892 IMG_7893

Of course, we tried to serve up some simple Halloween foods throughout the month. 
IMG_7365 IMG_7799 IMG_7906
IMG_7418 IMG_7424
IMG_7401 IMG_7410
IMG_7435 IMG_7438 IMG_7439
IMG_7901 IMG_7905 IMG_7904

I think my favorite dinner for the month was calzone snakes, where the kids could make and paint their own.  Simply add food coloring to an egg wash and use clean paintbrushes!  It was such a fun activity!! 
IMG_7441 IMG_7443 IMG_7445IMG_7459 IMG_7466 IMG_7473

Knowing about my Halloween obsession, a good friend brought me a gift:  skeleton hand serving utensils!  Oh you should have heard my squeals!!  If you ever wonder what to buy me, Halloween anything would be a pretty safe bet! ;)
IMG_7489 IMG_7494

Of the many things I love about Cody, one of them is that he loves Halloween as much as I do.  At least almost as much as I do.  His birthday is in October and a Halloween-themed cake is always a must!  Cookies and cream frosting, anyone? 
IMG_7827 IMG_7823
IMG_7830 IMG_7844

Throughout the month we watched Halloween movies and read Halloween books. 
IMG_7800 IMG_7547 IMG_7869

We went to a family fair at our friend’s work that is a daycare in a church. 
IMG_7537 IMG_7524
IMG_7527 IMG_7528

We attended the all-about-pumpkins activity at the library. The kids got to paint pumpkins after learning about them. 
IMG_7853 IMG_7856 IMG_7859

Jade got to dress up for gymnastics class and have a little party. 
IMG_7866 IMG_7867

The local high school students hosted a free carnival for the younger kids. 
IMG_7935 IMG_7942
IMG_7936 IMG_7939

Each room was decorated by a different high school club or class with various activities and games. 
IMG_7944 IMG_7945

Even the cooking class had cookies to decorate!  The whole event was pretty cute (and crowded)! 
IMG_7949
After dressing up all month long, Ridge started getting creative.  One day he came into the kitchen with a hanger around his belly announcing he was a hanger for Halloween! 
IMG_7950
The night before Halloween we carved pumpkins! 
IMG_7951 IMG_7954 IMG_7953
IMG_0498 IMG_0491
IMG_0502 IMG_0506

On Halloween, the library had a super cute activity for the young kids not in school.  Of all the costumes in our two large costume boxes, Ridge chose to be the pumpkin! 
IMG_7965 IMG_7985 IMG_7983
IMG_7967 IMG_7979

Then in the afternoon on Halloween, we went to see Jade in her school parade! 
IMG_7990 IMG_7996
IMG_8002 IMG_8005

With all these great activities and chances to dress up, I think it’s pretty safe to declare Halloween month a success! 

No comments: