Yep. That pretty much sums up how the last two days of our NYC spring break felt. No, maybe it was worse than a business trip. We kind of had a bad ending to a happy start. It was cold, the boys were still sick, and they were getting more cranky as the days went on without regular naps. We still saw some really cool sites in NYC though, so it wasn’t a total loss!!
Thursday morning started out fine as we walked around the financial district ie. Wall Street, etc.
Except that it was unexpectedly fuh-reeezing! And we were unprepared for just how cold and windy it was.
Then we headed over to Battery Park to get on the boat to the Statue of Liberty.
Again, we were unprepared. The lines were unexpectedly long and there was a security check that required coats off, strollers folded up, etc. No easy feat with a little baby and two small children, plus all the bags required for trekking into the city for the day.
We eventually made it through the line and onto the boat headed for Liberty Island.
Our spirits were still pretty high as we viewed the incredible statue from the boat.
On the island we had a good view of Manhattan.
We picked up some tour guide headsets and headed for the statue. Again we had to go through a grueling security process to get inside. It took forever!!
To help keep the kids happy and entertained, I was sure to get them a crown to wear. They wore the crowns almost the entire time, so I think they were a hit!
We made the mistake of going up the pedestal and through the museum before viewing the front of the statue from the outside.
Although it was really cool, by the time we made it through security and up the stairs to the pedestal, it was well past lunch and nap time and took everything we had to keep Ridge entertained and happy. I wish he would have been in a better mood, so we could have spent more time viewing everything in the museum!
When we finally made it back outside and around to the front of the statue, the kids were done. They needed some lunch and R&R.
We had come all this way and all we got was a few minutes with the statue! The Statue of Liberty was absolutely magnificent.
I’m finding the more I see the history of our own country, the more personal and real it becomes. As I learn firsthand of the sacrifices made for freedom and liberty, the more patriotic I feel. Despite grumpy children, Lady Liberty brought me to grateful tears. Even if we only had a few moments before a major breakdown, all I wanted was our pictures with this beautiful symbol!
I do have to give a shout-out to my girl, Jade! As hard of a time as the boys were having, she did awesome! She travels really well and was pretty entertained the whole time. She especially loved listening to the audio tour. Even as we were finally sitting down to eat, she sat on her own, continuously punching in numbers to hear more. It was absolutely adorable.
Apparently Liberty Island and Ellis Island close at 5 p.m. Everything took so much longer than we expected, we unfortunately missed out on Ellis Island! I think we were on one of the last boats off of Liberty Island.
The views back were spectacular.
After we exited the boat, we walked over to the 9/11 Memorial. Another incredible site. Two beautiful pools have been created where the towers once stood.
A single rose is placed on a name when it is that person’s birthday. It’s beautiful.
On the last day of our NYC “trip,” we started out at Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum (the museum is aboard the aircraft carrier Intrepid).
As we walked into the museum complex, a submarine was anchored to the side open for tours.
Unfortunately, there was a height restriction. I opted out and took the boys into the rest of the museum while everyone else viewed the sub.
Now this is a little boy’s museum! It wasn’t hard to keep Ridge entertained. He was pretty intrigued by all of the aircraft on display!
When sister came to join us, we had to be sure to show her some of the goods we discovered.
Then we made our way to the deck of the aircraft carrier where there were lots more airplanes and helicopters.
By this point, the boys were getting quite tired though.
We had one more stop in to see the space shuttle and then we could be on our way to the next thing.
We got our poor, tired boys into a taxi and over to the long lines at the Empire State Building.
As luck would have it, right when Tanner was finally able to fall asleep, it was our turn to go through the rigorous security screening! Helpless little thing had to be taken out of his stroller yet again! I was not a happy mama. Eventually we made it to the top of the overcrowded Empire State Building where he was finally able to fall asleep again.
Jade was pretty thrilled to listen to another audio tour.
We tried every trick we could to get a picture with the grumpy Ridge.
It only worked for so long. Then he got the boot.
The view was amazing. If we didn’t have ornery, hungry, and cold children, I would have loved to stay through the sunset and on into the night. Better save my pennies so I can go back with just the husband sometime. Dang kids ruin everything. Kidding… kidding…
Despite the chill, we stuck to our original plan and ended the evening with dinner at Shake Shack.
Pretty sure I was the only one happy about that decision. The food was delicious and totally worth sitting out in the cold. But I was the only one with that opinion, because I was the only crazy foodie of the group!
So long, New York! Sorry the trip had to end so crappy, but I sure loved seeing you anyway!!
No comments:
Post a Comment