Cody travels to different parts of Southeast Asia for work probably once every two to three months. This time he had to train about 15 sales guys in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. We went with him and we all stayed an extra week to tour around a bit.
First stop was
the Petronas Twin Towers.

They were
the tallest buildings in the world from 1998 until Taipei 101 was completed in 2004. Currently they are the 5th tallest.

We perused the stalls at Central Market.


The Botanical Garden was enjoyable for a few minutes, but really we were all too hot and tired by then to stay very long.

We took a rest until our evening tour where we started out by feeding Silver Leaf Monkeys.



Our guide gave us a bag of sliced sweet potatoes to hand out.

The monkeys knew what was in there because they came swarming...

And jumping...

Right after this one jumped up front, one jumped on my back and I was done. I pretty much shook them off and backed away for a bit.

One even jumped up on Cody while he was recording even though he had no food!

After feeding the monkeys we were taken to eat a seafood dinner on the river.


The main event on our tour was a boat ride down the river to see
fireflies. After dark hundreds-- maybe even thousands--of fireflies light up and flash in the trees. The Malaysians describe the display as a flashing Christmas tree. It was really cool, but unfortunately cameras don't capture the small lights in the dark, so all we have are memories.

Jadyn is sure to make a friend wherever we go.

Sunday was disappointing because our taxi driver spent an hour taking us from one Christian church to another. Apparently he doesn't understand that just any ol' church won't do! We gave up searching for the KL branch after an hour and went back to the hotel to listen to General Conference talks instead.
That night we tried some authentic Malaysian dishes:
Nasi Bojari with Beef Rendang.

Nasi Lemak.

They were quite good, except the cabbage and anchovies mixture seasoned with assam (I found out I definitely DON'T like assam) and the meat floss (what we affectionately--or not so affectionately--refer to as "hairy meat," because that's what it looks like).
Then we tried a traditional Malay dessert. Looks like a refreshing snow cone, right?

Wrong. The syrup is red sugar--which I didn't really like, but Cody thought was good. But the best part were all the treasures
under the ice: lots of glutinous items, jellies, corn, something else that tasted really bad, and red beans. And probably a few more things we couldn't decipher. One of the few desserts I am not capable of polishing off.
4 comments:
WOW! You are so brave! I am NOT adventurous with food. If I lived there I am quite sure I would starve. That dessert is quite amazing! You look adorable!!!!
You guys have the best trips in the world! I can't believe those monkeys swarmed around you like that! I would have freaked out !
Do you have any details on the fam reunion for July? The kids and I will be there on the 18th only...just wanted to make sure others were still there and where they were all meeting.
Beans and corn under the dessert... lol! That was so funny! Looks like a fun trip!
Looks like you had a great trip! It was a little Dejavu for me as we went to about half those places too. Jade was right--you looked good in your Jedi robe.
Post a Comment