As Jadyn and I sat on the bus on our way to the Adventist Hospital last Thursday morning, I felt so much excitement about our appointment. I thought about seeing our new baby on the ultrasound screen and hearing the heartbeat for the first time. Still my anticipation was lined with a bit of apprehension.
I don't have much experience with hospitals, but I can only imagine the experience would have been different in America. First I went to the Priority Care Center (PCC), which I think is basically a way to pay more money to have someone take you to where you need to go and cut in front of the lines to see the doctors. I had an appointment with a certain doctor, but I was first taken to get an ultrasound. The only thing the U-tech asked was "Can you speak Chinese?" "I cannot." If I remember right she didn't speak to me the rest of the time. I didn't appreciate that very much because I was sure interested in what she was seeing/not seeing in my uterus. Apparently she didn't see anything because next I was taken across the hall to get a vaginal ultrasound. I didn't think this was too odd, because that is what happened when I had Jadyn; my first visit was too early to see anything on a normal ultrasound. A new lady did the next ultrasound; again the question: "Can you speak Chinese?" "No." Great. Now I won't know what is going on again. I specifically made an appointment with a doctor that speaks English for this very reason!!! She began explaining things in English. Thank goodness!! It wasn't good. My ovaries were completely normal and she could see no baby in my uterus.
A couple weeks prior I had taken two pregnancy tests with positive results. A few days prior to that I was having some cramping, but no bleeding. About a week after I started bleeding. It didn't seem real extreme or heavy, and I didn't have any cramping or pain during that time. It seemed really strange, but I was hopeful it would turn out to be nothing. I talked to a couple nurses and doctors, as well as some experienced mothers, but never had a formal appointment as we don't have insurance in the States. I was able to get in for this appointment a few days after our return to Taiwan.
After having the second ultrasound, I was told to go back to the PCC, who then took me to the doctor for the actual appointment. I finally sat down with the doctor who explained again what the ultrasound results showed: no baby in the uterus, normal ovaries. To be honest, at this point I was still in a bit of a fog as to what was actually happening and what this all meant. The doctor explained it could mean either an abortion--which I assumed was a mistranslation from Chinese to English and corrected her by saying "miscarriage"--or an ectopic pregnancy. I kept thinking maybe everything was still okay; maybe they've just misread or misunderstood something. She wanted to have a urine and blood test done next because if it was an ectopic pregnancy, the egg might be too small to see in the ultrasounds. I was told to go back to the PCC once again. The kind nurse there walked me over to the lab.
This was interesting/different. She handed me a dixie-like paper cup and pointed to what looked like public bathrooms. Ohhh-kaay. Here goes. A few minutes later I walked out with my cup (as the janitor and other bathroom-goers are looking at me and my cup) and handed it to her. That was weird. And gross. Next the nurse took me to the phlebotomist. Also an interesting experience. I was taken to a seat at a window where I stuck my arm on the counter, my blood was drawn from a woman on the other side, and that was that.
At this point the nice nurse told me it would take an hour for the test results and she walked me to the door so I could kill time by walking around the neighborhood. Luckily, there's a mall just a few blocks down. As she was walking with me from place to place, she explained more what was happening. I finally asked the question with an answer that was probably obvious, but I didn't want to believe: "So, I either had a miscarriage or I have an ectopic pregnancy?" "Yes." "Can the baby survive through and ectopic pregnancy?" "No. It is very dangerous and you may have to have the baby removed." I looked away to hide my face as it took all my concentration to keep my chin from quivering and tears from pouring out my eyes. It was all I could do to keep my composure. I just wanted to be alone and let the tears flow. I finally made it outside; Jadyn and I were finally alone--that is with all the other pedestrians hurrying along on the sidewalk. As I walked toward the mall, I pulled out my phone to call Cody. As soon as I heard his voice, I couldn't hold it together anymore. All he heard on his end was uncontrollable sobbing as I tried to gain enough composure to explain the situation. It felt good to let all the built up emotion out and it was therapeutic to talk to my husband.
The test results were as good as we could expect at this point. A negative pregnancy test and normal blood levels, which means it was in fact a miscarriage and there is no ectopic pregnancy. The best of the two options, I suppose. I am grateful that if this had to happen that it did so early on with such little pain and emotional attachment. Now it is just hoping there is nothing wrong with me and everything will be fine from this point forward. Time will tell. I think someone is trying to teach me patience.
One of the hardest parts about this situation is my lack of understanding. I'd had some really neat spiritual experiences in the last month or so that had confirmed to me that I would get pregnant and then that I was pregnant. I really tried to demonstrate faith and hope in those experiences, so when I saw the positive pregnancy results, it was a sweet confirmation to my testimony. When I started having complications, I really tried not to worry and to have faith everything would be fine based on those previous experiences. Now I'm just confused whether the whole thing is an interrelated learning experience and a test in faith, or the resulting miscarriage is a consequence of certain choices. One thing I know is that what has happened has happened and although I'm sad and disappointed, I will move forward and let God bless us in His way and time. Even if that means frustration on my end. My father-in-law put it best when he said something to the affect of, "there are a lot of spirits waiting to come down and get bodies. The body needs to be developed and working right for the spirit that will possess it. Even though it is hard on the parents, it is better to wait for a healthy body." This brought me a lot of comfort and a more complete understanding. I'm not distraught about the situation anymore and have come to terms with it. It is almost like the pregnancy never happened and we just have to keep trying.
The doctor said we need to wait and track a few cycles before we try getting pregnant again. For those with knowledge or experience in this type of matter: is this normal practice, is it really a concern, or can we disregard this advice?
An additional note:
I've wavered back and forth between whether such a personal thing should be written on such a public place or not. We were excited to find out we were prego while we were in UT and wanted to tell friends and family in person while we had the chance. Obviously it was too soon, but now that people know we feel you ought to also know that we are actually no longer pregnant. We figured this would be the quickest and least painful form of communication. This way it is easier on us as we don't need to repeat the sad news several times. Although I feel okay about this (I'm sad, disappointed, and maybe even a little discouraged, but my emotions are healing quickly), I'd still like to request no questions about us getting pregnant again, etc. I believe Heavenly Father will bless us with a baby when it is time and we will inform all of you about it when that time comes. So many of our blog audience are very close family and friends. Please understand how we are feeling and forgive us for not telling you personally.
20 comments:
The whole Taiwan hospital part made me want to cry with you. I hate when communication isn't 100% clear, especially when it's important. Thank you for sharing such an honest post- and I will talk to you or call for the rest of what I'm thinking :)
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I admire your strength and faith and knowing that Heavenly Father has a plan for us that is perfect. Your cute family will be in our prayers.
Oh Nicole, I'm so sorry for your loss. When Eric and I were going through our tough time, he told me, "The Lord is just taking his time on our baby and we just have to wait." Eric's words were true, but the waiting part sure did stink.
Wow. Well, we've talked a little about this prior to the full knowledge of it, but I will call you tomorrow to talk to you about this further. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'm grateful you at least had a little precursor (the bleeding and cramping) so this didn't catch you totally off guard. I know that doesn't make much of a difference - it still happened - but I hope that provided you some comfort. Everything else I want to say we can talk about over the phone. I love you and am happy to hear the pain of this is healing somewhat.
*As a sidenote - yes it is common practice to wait (about 6 weeks or more sometimes) to start trying again. Because your uterus does do some shifting and stretching when you are pregnant, you have to give it time to go back to normal, otherwise you just risk the same thing happening again. I know it's hard to wait when you're so ready, but it really will save yourself future heartache of the same nature if you let your body recuperate and allow your uterus to be ready to grow another baby.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. :)
Nicole, I am sorry and sad to hear about your miscarriage. I have a close friend that just went through this same thing and it was very hard on her as well. I wish you guys all the best with what comes next in your future. I read this interesting article on ksl last week and thought you may be interested in reading it. Good luck.
http://www.ksl.com/public/index.php?nid=201&sid=11875821
Nicole, I just want to cry, but am so happy that you are feeling healing emotions. I love what your father-in-law told you. What beautiful and true advice. We'll talk soon. You are so amazing.
I'm so sorry Nicole. I just read an article on a new study done on when you should try to get pregnant after a miscarraige. Here is the article. http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-08-06-miscarriage-pregnancy_N.htm
Ohh I'm so sorry you have to go through this! It's crazy how many women I've learned have had to suffer through this as well. I have heard of lots of girls getting pregnant right away after a miscarriage. I hope for the best for you! Enjoy giving little Jade all your attention until then! :) It was great to see you guys while you were here!!
Oh my sweet friend... I love you! My thoughts and prayers are with you every step of the way.
Nicole - I am so sorry. It is a heartbreaking story but your faith and attitude through it are an amazing example. I am certainly not a dr. but if you do decide to wait a bit and track your cycles...remember that a good amount of time has already passed since the actual miscarriage as you no longer had a positive pregnancy test (the hormone stays in your blood for weeks after a baby is lost). My thoughts are with you, good luck on the journey!
Oh Nicole. I am so sorry. Don't feel bad about telling friends and family through your blog. I think you're right to do it this way. One thing that sort of helps me through harder times is to remember that we are never tested above more then we are able. Our Heavenly Father loves us and gives us experiences that will make us better. I really am sorry you and Cody have to go through this. I love you and I will be praying for your family.
Nicole..I am so sorry what you had went through, I wish I was there and I could have gone to the hospital with you. I agree with Erin about Taiwan hospital part that they don't communicate with you clearly..sometimes not even to abasic standard. Even I can speak the language, I always had to ask and ask and chase for an answer about my staus there. You and Cody are such great parents and you both are faithful and obdient chidlren of God, He will bless you with more children. It is simply not the time yet. I know in no time, I'll be hearing your good news!! love and miss you Lydia
Nicole this made me so sad! It seriously broke my heart! You are so strong and such an amazing person. I hope to aspire and be like you. I will keep you in my prayers! Love you guys! xox
I'm so sorry too Nicole! We struggled with fertility issues for 3 years before we got pregnant with Kaleb and Noe. I too had a miscarriage before that that was very early on in the pregnancy. The doctor said I had a blighted ovum, which is when the egg gets ferilized and the placenta starts forming, but the baby never developed. After a few weeks, I just had a normal period and that was the end of my pregnancy. It was really hard on me too, but now 11 years later I have 4 beautiful kids. Heavenly Father does have a plan for you guys and I admire your faith. You are wonderful parents and Jadyn is just the cutest little thing!
I'm sorry I'm a little late in reading this. I'm so sorry for your loss. :( ((hugs)) I hope that it will happen for you soon.
Nicole, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. This is never an easy thing to deal with, but I can tell your testimony is strong and that will always help you through anything. You are so strong and amazing. I don't think I was as strong as you when I had my first miscarriage. I don't think I realized for several months that I was being taught a huge lesson of patience. It is a hard one to learn, but one that will pay off!
I have heard you are supposed to wait after a loss to start trying again, but I got pregnant with Drew 2 weeks after a miscarriage and everything was normal and perfect, so if it happens sooner, it can work out all right!!
You guys will be in our prayers. Good luck with everything and and your big move!
Love ya!
Nicole, I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. Thinking of you alone in the hospital not being able to understand just breaks my heart. Your faith is evident. Thanks for your example of trusting in Heavenly Father's timing.
I haven't been to your blog for a few days, so I just saw the news. I'm glad things are getting better, and I admire you for being brave enough to talk about it publicly. Miscarriages are NOT fun. :( But you are amazingly strong and whoever comes to join your family next will be one lucky soul! :)
Post a Comment